all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Control-C conundrum
@ 2015-06-04  0:17 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2015-06-04  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

I've done extensive keybinding based on the recommendations here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

What follows is an example of my strategy
;; Leading prefix for all bindings
(defvar tj-leader "C-c " "First keystroke for all keymap prefixes")
;; One example of a prefix command
defvar tj-go-map (make-sparse-keymap) "Navigation")
(define-prefix-command 'tj-go-map)
(global-set-key (kbd (concat tj-leader "g")) 'tj-go-map)

Any number of bindings, all beginning with C-c follow from that
scheme.

This means that I can change bindings so that they begin with
something other than C-c with one code change: the first 'defvar.

Here's my problem :
I have severe arthritis in my thumbs. When I use fingers in my left
hand, bending down to reach the "c" key, I will shortly experience a
lot of pain in the base of my left thumb.

I can easily switch to C-l or C-o as the first keystroke for all
prefix definitions just by redefining 'tj-leader.

I'm aware that major or minor modes may use C-l or C-o, but I don't
have any of the thumb pain when I use either C-l or C-o.

One work-around that I have been considering is add-hook'ing an
alternative binding (say, in place of C-o => C-o C-o) if I use a
mode that remaps C-o.

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions, :) including thumb surgery.

thanks
--
Tim