all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs, post.el, slrn, no longer working together.
@ 2004-10-26 21:12 s. keeling
From: s. keeling @ 2004-10-26 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Until recently, all these things were working just the way they
should.  A recent upgrade appears to have broken some of their
functionality.  emacs outside slrn still works fine.  emacs with mutt
still works fine (though startup is slower; see below).  btw, I use
"emacs", not xemacs.

With slrn, however, I now have a plain old white on black emacs
display (previously, it was multi-colored).  The mode line says "Text
Fill".  M-x font-lock-mode does nothing.  "f"ollowup in slrn still
functions, but "r"eply reports something about file not found, message
not sent.  I used to do C-c-c to finish and send and that no longer
works.  C-x-c works, but then asks me if I wish to save some anonymous
file.

emacs is now slower to start up, mentioning "40mule-ucs" for about ten
seconds.

What can I do to try to track down the problem(s)?

This is Debian/Gnu Linux stable (Woody) 3.0r2:

ii  emacs-goodies-el         10-3                     Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs20                  20.7-13.1                The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs20-el               20.7-13.1                GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacsen-common           1.4.15                   Common facilities for all emacsen.

ii  slrn                     0.9.8.0-10.backports.org threaded news
                                                      reader (fast for
                                                      slow links)

ii  mule-ucs                 0.84-11                  character code
                                                      translator
                                                      system on Emacs

post.el,v 2.0 2002/04/10 17:45:33 reid

.emacs:

   (load "/home/keeling/.mutt/post")

(*)           http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling   Linux Counter #80292
- -           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html

* Re: emacs, post.el, slrn, no longer working together.
@ 2004-10-26 22:03 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-10-26 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

> Until recently, all these things were working just the way they
> should.  A recent upgrade appears to have broken some of their
> functionality.

What exactly was upgraded?

* Re: emacs, post.el, slrn, no longer working together.
@ 2004-10-27 14:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-10-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ii  emacs-goodies-el         10-3                     Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
> ii  emacs20                  20.7-13.1                The GNU Emacs editor.
> ii  emacs20-el               20.7-13.1                GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
> ii  emacsen-common           1.4.15                   Common facilities for all emacsen.

> ii  slrn                     0.9.8.0-10.backports.org threaded news
>                                                       reader (fast for
>                                                       slow links)

> ii  mule-ucs                 0.84-11                  character code
>                                                       translator
>                                                       system on Emacs

Any reason why you don't upgrade to emacs21?

* Re: emacs, post.el, slrn, no longer working together.
@ 2004-10-28 23:14   ` s. keeling
From: s. keeling @ 2004-10-28 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:28:17 GMT, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
> > ii  emacs-goodies-el         10-3                     Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
> > ii  emacs20                  20.7-13.1                The GNU Emacs editor.
> > ii  emacs20-el               20.7-13.1                GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
>
>  Any reason why you don't upgrade to emacs21?

Sure.  It's not available for Debian stable.  As soon as Sarge goes
stable, I'll upgrade.

Good news, however.  I appear to have fixed the problem.  emacs called
from slrn appears to have regained its old behaviour.  At least now,
it's in color, and the mode line says "Post Header Fill".  All I
changed in .slrnrc was "set use_tmpdir 0", and now all appears to be
back the way it was.

@ 2004-10-28 23:26     ` Sebastien Kirche
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-10-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 29 oct 2004, s. keeling a formulé :

> Sure.  It's not available for Debian stable.  As soon as Sarge goes
> stable, I'll upgrade.

Sure it is available for Debian stable (at least for 21.2), maybe you should
apt-get update ?

Here it is : http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/emacs21

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: emacs, post.el, slrn, no longer working together.
@ 2004-10-29  2:32       ` s. keeling
From: s. keeling @ 2004-10-29  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)