all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [h-e-w] easymenu question (fwd)
@ 2010-08-14 16:49 Morgan V. Cundiff
From: Morgan V. Cundiff @ 2010-08-14 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1138 bytes --]

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I am using easymenu.el to create major-mode-specific menus. The following
>> code in my .emacs does create the desired "XQuery" menu. However, it
>> positions the XQuery menu as the first (i.e. left-most) menu. I would like
>> to be able to position it as the right-most, or, better yet, to place it
>> in any arbitrary position relative to the other menus. Can anyone help?
>>
>>   (easy-menu-define my-menu global-map "XQUERY"

The above line places the menu in the global-map.  I.e. it will appear
in every buffer, no matter which major mode it is in (so if you want it
to be major-mode-specific, it's probably not the right thing to do).

The place where it appears is partly controllable, but not completely:
it largely depends on whether it comes from global-map, from the
major-mode map, or from a minor-mode map.  Within those strong
constraints you can influence the position by controlling where in the
global-map, major-mode map, or minor-mode map they appear (typically
via the use of define-key-after or easy-menu-add-item), as well as via
menu-bar-final-items.