all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* base64-encoding-region does not work on multibyte character
@ 2012-04-08  5:15 Moses
From: Moses @ 2012-04-08  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Gnu Emacs Help

Hi all,

I get error "Multibyte character in data for base64 encoding" when I
try to base64 encoding some utf-8 text. I would like to know is there
an easy way to encode and decode base64 in Emacs?

Thanks

* Re: base64-encoding-region does not work on multibyte character
       [not found] <mailman.716.1333862142.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-10  2:43 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-10  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I get error "Multibyte character in data for base64 encoding" when I
> try to base64 encoding some utf-8 text.

base64 is an encoding which applies to *bytes*, not chars.  So you first
need to encode your sequence of chars into a sequence of bytes using
some coding-system.  I.e. apply `encode-coding-string/region'.
And after that, you can use base64-encode-string/region.

* Re: base64-encoding-region does not work on multibyte character
@ 2012-05-18  3:21   ` Moses
From: Moses @ 2012-05-18  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ok, it is not as convenient as in Notepad++, but it works.

Thanks.