all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-02-15 20:33 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As many of you know, the `elpa' branch is kind of sick: while the branch
itself is actually fine, Bzr chokes on it when doing the initial
checkout (the checkout is still possible, if you know the trick).

This bug in Bzr has been reported at least since October 2011 and
still isn't fixed, so given the lack of development of Bazaar, we can
mostly assume it won't be fixed.

We could rewrite the `elpa' branch, throwing away the crucial info that
triggers the bug, but it's an info I'd like to keep (it's the merge
metadata that lets us merge from externally maintained branches of elpa
packages).

Luckily there's one way forward: using a Git branch for `elpa'.
Joergen Schaefer and John Wiegley are working at producing a Git
branch that preserves the metadata we currently have in `elpa'.

I don't want this to be a discussion about the merits/pitfalls of Git vs
Bzr, and this is not an occasion to discuss the use of Git for the
`trunk' either.  It's just the only way forward to fix this long
standing and embarrassing problem on the `elpa' branch.

I'm not terribly happy about this change, since it means we'll be using
two different tools (Git for `elpa' and Bzr for `trunk'), but I really
see no other way out.  So this is mostly a heads up.
If someone (and no, not someone like Glenn who's already busy enough)
could take care of adjusting the scripts in elpa/admin, that would
be appreciated.

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-02-16 14:06 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-02-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

The situation with bzr seems to be bad.  I am talking with the maintainer
to determine what to do with it.

In the mean time, is it possible to recreate the elpa Bzr branch
based on what is in the git repository?  Or would that trigger the same
bug again?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-02-16 14:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-16 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In the mean time, is it possible to recreate the elpa Bzr branch
> based on what is in the git repository?  Or would that trigger the same
> bug again?

It would trigger the same problem, indeed.  The thing that triggers the
bug is the exact thing we want.

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-02-18  6:33   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-02-18  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 2013-02-16 22:06 +0800, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The situation with bzr seems to be bad.  I am talking with the maintainer
> to determine what to do with it.

Yes, bzr situation is pretty sad and bad; see the insight from someone
deeply involved with bzr:

  Title: Bazaar-NG: 7 years of hacking on a distributed version control system

Leo

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-02-25 16:32 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-02-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:33:50 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

SM> I'm not terribly happy about this change, since it means we'll be using
SM> two different tools (Git for `elpa' and Bzr for `trunk'), but I really
SM> see no other way out.  So this is mostly a heads up.
SM> If someone (and no, not someone like Glenn who's already busy enough)
SM> could take care of adjusting the scripts in elpa/admin, that would
SM> be appreciated.

Let me know here or over e-mail what needs to be done.  I plan to do
some work with the ELPA anyhow after the 24.3 release (to address the
things that came up during the ELPA security discussion).

@ 2013-03-09  5:02   ` Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2013-03-09  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

2013/2/25 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:33:50 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
> Let me know here or over e-mail what needs to be done.  I plan to do
> some work with the ELPA anyhow after the 24.3 release (to address the
> things that came up during the ELPA security discussion).

What's the status of the ELPA branch replacement?

Regards,
Fabián

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10  5:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-10  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: johnw, Jorgen Schaefer, emacs-devel

>> Let me know here or over e-mail what needs to be done.  I plan to do
>> some work with the ELPA anyhow after the 24.3 release (to address the
>> things that came up during the ELPA security discussion).
> What's the status of the ELPA branch replacement?

Haven't had time to devote to it.  AFAIK, there's a Git version of the
branch (prepared by Joergen), with the following needs:

1- update it to ELPA's tip.
2- install it somehow into git.sv.gnu.org.
3- update the scripts on elpa.gnu.org.

I think the first step now is to figure out how to do step 2.
Once this is settled, we can do step 1 and then 2.  Step 3 can come
later without too much trouble.

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10  8:06       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier
  Cc: johnw, emacs-devel, Jorgen Schaefer, Fabian Ezequiel Gallina

> I think the first step now is to figure out how to do step 2.

git push git.sv.gnu.org:emacs/elpa will do it.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 10:19         ` Jorgen Schaefer
From: Jorgen Schaefer @ 2013-03-10 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab
  Cc: johnw, Fabian Ezequiel Gallina, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:06:28 +0100
Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> > I think the first step now is to figure out how to do step 2.
>
> git push git.sv.gnu.org:emacs/elpa will do it.

The problem we have faced I think was that elpa includes a number of
other projects as subtrees (using read-tree). The question was mostly
how to transport this information, in particular the "remote" branches,
to the git repository, as .git/config isn't chared. Alternatively, we
can use submodules for this. I'm not deep enough into git to understand
whether one or the other is "better" here.

Especially considering the one package using svn. I never used git-svn
for anything but trivial tasks, so I again have no idea how to include
that without a separate git repository that only tracks the svn one.

Regards,
	-- Jorgen

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 11:57           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorgen Schaefer
  Cc: johnw, Fabian Ezequiel Gallina, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:

> The problem we have faced I think was that elpa includes a number of
> other projects as subtrees (using read-tree). The question was mostly
> how to transport this information, in particular the "remote" branches,

You can push any branch, just name it in a refspec.

Andreas.

--

@ 2013-03-10 12:06             ` Jorgen Schaefer
From: Jorgen Schaefer @ 2013-03-10 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: johnw, Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:57:17 +0100
Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:
>
> > The problem we have faced I think was that elpa includes a number of
> > other projects as subtrees (using read-tree). The question was
> > mostly how to transport this information, in particular the
> > "remote" branches,
>
> You can push any branch, just name it in a refspec.

I was not aware that this would keep the "remote" information.

Regards,
	-- Jorgen

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 12:44           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jorgen Schaefer writes:
> Especially considering the one package using svn. I never used git-svn
> for anything but trivial tasks, so I again have no idea how to include
> that without a separate git repository that only tracks the svn one.

Git svn is one of those converters that actually work both ways, so
there is nothing to fear.  As with all new tools, you'd be well advised
to set up clones for both SVN and the Git repo to try and break it and
maybe adapt your workflow according to your results.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 16:35               ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-10 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorgen Schaefer; +Cc: johnw, emacs-devel

Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:

> I was not aware that this would keep the "remote" information.

Which "remote" information?

Andreas.

--

@ 2013-03-10 16:51       ` Jorgen Schaefer
From: Jorgen Schaefer @ 2013-03-10 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: johnw, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:18:52 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> >> Let me know here or over e-mail what needs to be done.  I plan to
> >> do some work with the ELPA anyhow after the 24.3 release (to
> >> address the things that came up during the ELPA security
> >> discussion).
> > What's the status of the ELPA branch replacement?
>
> Haven't had time to devote to it.  AFAIK, there's a Git version of the
> branch (prepared by Joergen)

Just so I'm not the only one with this "arcane" knowledge. It's not
really difficult to prepare a git version of bzr, just requires some
non-obvious incantations:

mkdir elpa-migration
cd elpa-migration
bzr branch https://code.launchpad.net/~schwab-linux-m68k/bzr-fastimport/master fastimport
export BZR_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/elpa-migration
export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/elpa-migration/
mkdir bzr ; cd bzr
bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa
cd elpa
bzr revert
cd ../..
mkdir -p  git/elpa ; cd git/elpa ; git init
bzr fast-export --plain ~/elpa-migration/bzr/elpa/ | git fast-import --force
git checkout

This results in a git copy of the ELPA bzr repository, but it's lacking
information about all the upstream repositories the bzr repo is tracking.

I used read-tree to import them, but it might be better to use submodule.
I know too little about git and the uses here to make a decision.

Repositories to be tracked:

f90-interface-browser  https://github.com/wence-/f90-iface/
coffee-mode            https://github.com/defunkt/coffee-mode
ioccur                 https://github.com/thierryvolpiatto/ioccur
yasnippet              https://github.com/capitaomorte/yasnippet
ggtags                 https://github.com/leoliu/ggtags
ack-el                 https://github.com/leoliu/ack-el

For each of those, I did the following:

git remote add $PACKAGE $URL
git fetch -n $PACKAGE
git checkout -b $PACKAGE $PACKAGE/master
git checkout master

I then merged each of them with a separate commit using the following:

git rm -r packages/$PACKAGE
git read-tree --prefix=packages/$PACKAGE -u $PACKAGE
git add packages/$PACKAGE
git commit -m "Merged packages/$PACKAGE from $URL"

This then is only missing js2-mode, which is hosted on subversion. I
do not use git-svn much at all and have no idea how to do a read-tree
or submodule with that. The svn repo is hosted here:

svn checkout http://js2-mode.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ js2-mode-read-only

It might be best if someone who has more clue about both git and how
elpa is used picks up from here.

Regards,
	-- Jorgen

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 17:37         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-03-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorgen Schaefer; +Cc: johnw, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:
> This then is only missing js2-mode, which is hosted on subversion. I

No, it isn't.

> do not use git-svn much at all and have no idea how to do a read-tree
> or submodule with that. The svn repo is hosted here:
>
> svn checkout http://js2-mode.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ js2-mode-read-only

The upstream is here: https://github.com/mooz/js2-mode/

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 17:41           ` Jorgen Schaefer
From: Jorgen Schaefer @ 2013-03-10 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:37:38 +0400
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:
> > This then is only missing js2-mode, which is hosted on subversion. I
>
> No, it isn't.
>
> > do not use git-svn much at all and have no idea how to do a
> > read-tree or submodule with that. The svn repo is hosted here:
> >
> > svn checkout http://js2-mode.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
> > js2-mode-read-only
>
> The upstream is here: https://github.com/mooz/js2-mode/

Wonderful. That makes things a lot easier. :-)

	-- Jorgen

* Re: Replacing the `elpa' branch
@ 2013-03-10 18:52         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorgen Schaefer; +Cc: johnw, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Jorgen Schaefer <forcer@forcix.cx> writes:

> bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa
> cd elpa
> bzr revert
> cd ../..
> mkdir -p  git/elpa ; cd git/elpa ; git init
> bzr fast-export --plain ~/elpa-migration/bzr/elpa/ | git fast-import --force
> git checkout

aka git clone --single-branch -b elpa git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs elpa

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org