all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Lisp API for updating package.el packages
@ 2013-09-26  9:20 Bozhidar Batsov
From: Bozhidar Batsov @ 2013-09-26  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi guys,

As far as I know the only way to update the install packages via package.el is the following:

* M-x package-list-packages
* U (mark packages that can be upgraded)

This works, but it's a bit limiting. For instance, someone might want to have Emacs check for package updates on startup and install them.

It'd be really great if there were a command `package-upgrade` that would upgrade a package if possible (and maybe a command `package-upgrade-all` that just wraps `package-upgrade`.

--
Cheers,
Bozhidar

* Re: Emacs Lisp API for updating package.el packages
@ 2013-09-28  0:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-28  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bozhidar Batsov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> * M-x package-list-packages
> * U (mark packages that can be upgraded)

> This works, but it's a bit limiting. For instance, someone might want to
> have Emacs check for package updates on startup and install them.

> It'd be really great if there were a command `package-upgrade` that would
> upgrade a package if possible (and maybe a command `package-upgrade-all`
> that just wraps `package-upgrade`.

Sounds fine.  Awaiting your patch ;-)