all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
       [not found] <E1XG9Gr-00022k-Cj@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-08-09 18:32 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> -rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> -rem
> -rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> -rem   + DJGPP version 2.0 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> -rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> -rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> -rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work (and is
> +rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> +rem
> +rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> +rem   + DJGPP version 2.02 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> +rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> +rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> +rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work (and is

I get the impression that you did not use Emacs to make these changes.
Why do these lines (and others further down) get a ^M at the end?

> +of GCC (the GNU C compiler), GNU Make, rm, mv, cp, and sed, and
> +version 2.03 or later of DJGPP itself.  See the remarks in CONFIG.BAT

Shouldn't this be 2.02?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-09 18:50   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-09 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, rrt

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 14:32:28 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > -rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > -rem
> > -rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > -rem   + DJGPP version 2.0 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> > -rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > -rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > -rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work (and is
> > +rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > +rem
> > +rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > +rem   + DJGPP version 2.02 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> > +rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > +rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > +rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work (and is
>
> I get the impression that you did not use Emacs to make these changes.
> Why do these lines (and others further down) get a ^M at the end?
>
> > +of GCC (the GNU C compiler), GNU Make, rm, mv, cp, and sed, and
> > +version 2.03 or later of DJGPP itself.  See the remarks in CONFIG.BAT
>
> Shouldn't this be 2.02?

Thanks, I fixed those.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-09 21:38   ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-08-09 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 9 August 2014 19:32, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > -rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > -rem
> > -rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > -rem   + DJGPP version 2.0 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> > -rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > -rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > -rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work
> (and is
> > +rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > +rem
> > +rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > +rem   + DJGPP version 2.02 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> > +rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > +rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > +rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work
> (and is
>
> I get the impression that you did not use Emacs to make these changes.
> Why do these lines (and others further down) get a ^M at the end?

I don't know, and I'm sorry. I noticed "^M" at the end of each line in "bzr
diff", but assumed it was like a similar thing git does with DOS line
endings in diffs. I had quite a lot of changes, not all for this patch, in
my checkout, and first made a patch with bzr diff, then bzr shelve'd them
so I could get up to date with trunk, then applied parts of the patch file
using diff-mode. Clearly somewhere in there the line endings were
introduced; at least next time I'll know that in bzr those ^Ms mean bad
things.

> > +of GCC (the GNU C compiler), GNU Make, rm, mv, cp, and sed, and
> > +version 2.03 or later of DJGPP itself.  See the remarks in CONFIG.BAT
>
> Shouldn't this be 2.02?

Yes…

From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-08-09 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 9 August 2014 19:50, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> > Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 14:32:28 -0400
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > > -rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > > -rem
> > > -rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > > -rem   + DJGPP version 2.0 or later (version 2.03 or later
> recommended).
> > > -rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > > -rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > > -rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work
> (and is
> > > +rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > > +rem
> > > +rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > > +rem   + DJGPP version 2.02 or later (version 2.03 or later
> recommended).
> > > +rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > > +rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > > +rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work
> (and is
> >
> > I get the impression that you did not use Emacs to make these changes.
> > Why do these lines (and others further down) get a ^M at the end?
> >
> > > +of GCC (the GNU C compiler), GNU Make, rm, mv, cp, and sed, and
> > > +version 2.03 or later of DJGPP itself.  See the remarks in CONFIG.BAT
> >
> > Shouldn't this be 2.02?
>
> Thanks, I fixed those.

…and thanks, Eli, for fixing my mess, and apologies to you too.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-09 22:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-09 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> so I could get up to date with trunk, then applied parts of the patch file
> using diff-mode. Clearly somewhere in there the line endings were

Ah, maybe it's diff-mode's fault, then.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-10 15:24   ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-08-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 9 August 2014 19:32, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > -rem   YOU'LL NEED THE FOLLOWING UTILITIES TO MAKE EMACS:
> > -rem
> > -rem   + msdos version 3 or better.
> > -rem   + DJGPP version 2.0 or later (version 2.03 or later recommended).
> > -rem   + make utility that allows breaking of the 128 chars limit on
> > -rem     command lines.  ndmake (as of version 4.5) won't work due to a
> > -rem     line length limit.  The make that comes with DJGPP does work
> (and is

By the way, this reminds me: the wording "the make that comes with DJGPP
does work" confused me, because I can't find one other that GNU make (which
is obviously going to be OK). Did I miss something, or could this be
reworded as something like "DJGPP supplies a port of GNU make"?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-10 15:27       ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-08-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 9 August 2014 23:10, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > so I could get up to date with trunk, then applied parts of the patch
> file
> > using diff-mode. Clearly somewhere in there the line endings were
>
> Ah, maybe it's diff-mode's fault, then.

A quick trial reveals that your guess appears to be right. I'll file a bug
report with a simple test case.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-10 15:38     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-10 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 16:24:15 +0100
> From: Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> could this be reworded as something like "DJGPP supplies a port of
> GNU make"?

"The DJGPP port of GNU Make" should be OK.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117672: Remove support for DJGPP < 2.02
@ 2014-08-10 16:24       ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-08-10 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel