all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* other-frame-window.el --daemon mode bug?
@ 2017-11-27 18:47 Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2017-11-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

`other-frame-window-mode', provided by "other-frame-window.el" works for me as
long as GNU Emacs isn't started in daemon mode.  In this case, I can't open a
new frame:

emacs -Q --daemon

Connect to the server:

emacsclient -c -n

In the '*scratch*' buffer enter and eval:

(require 'other-frame-window "/path/to/other-frame-window.el")
(other-frame-window-mode t)

'C-x 9 b' is supposed to open a buffer (defaults to the "*Messages*" buffer) in
another frame.  On pressing return, Emacs becomes stuck in the minibuffer.  The
command times out after a while and can be interrupted with 'C-g', but no frame
is created.

After firing up Emacs with 'emacs -Q', everything works as expected.

Can someone please confirm this?

The library comes as a GNU package, not included in my Emacs[1].  In case it's
a bug, can I just report it as an Emacs bug?

Thx for any help

Toto

Footnotes:
[1]  GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
     of 2017-09-12, modified by Debian (Unstable)

--
Wanda: ...he thought that the Gettysburg Address was where Lincoln
       lived.  [A Fish Called Wanda]

* Re: other-frame-window.el --daemon mode bug?
@ 2017-11-27 18:56 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.4690.1511811741.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-27 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In case it's a bug, can I just report it as an Emacs bug?

Yes!

* Re: other-frame-window.el --daemon mode bug?
@ 2017-11-27 19:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4690.1511811741.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@withouthat.org>
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 19:47:18 +0100
>
> emacs -Q --daemon
>
> Connect to the server:
>
> emacsclient -c -n
>
> In the '*scratch*' buffer enter and eval:
>
> (require 'other-frame-window "/path/to/other-frame-window.el")
> (other-frame-window-mode t)
>
> 'C-x 9 b' is supposed to open a buffer (defaults to the "*Messages*" buffer) in
> another frame.  On pressing return, Emacs becomes stuck in the minibuffer.  The
> command times out after a while and can be interrupted with 'C-g', but no frame
> is created.
>
> After firing up Emacs with 'emacs -Q', everything works as expected.
>
> Can someone please confirm this?

Confirmed.

> The library comes as a GNU package, not included in my Emacs[1].  In case it's
> a bug, can I just report it as an Emacs bug?

As someone who gets to read, triage, and then handle at least some of
those bug reports, I'd prefer that you first reported this to the
author of the package.

(A cursory look I took seems to indicate that the problem is with the
way this package selects a frame to switch to: it attempts to select
the initial frame created by the daemon, which is not usable for
displaying anything.  But I might be missing something.)

Thanks.

@ 2017-11-27 20:06   ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2017-11-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> Confirmed.

>> The library comes as a GNU package, not included in my Emacs[1].  In case
>> it's a bug, can I just report it as an Emacs bug?

> As someone who gets to read, triage, and then handle at least some of those
> bug reports, I'd prefer that you first reported this to the author of the
> package.

> (A cursory look I took seems to indicate that the problem is with the way
> this package selects a frame to switch to: it attempts to select the initial
> frame created by the daemon, which is not usable for displaying anything.
> But I might be missing something.)

Will do and thanks for looking into it.

Toto

--
Now, I know Shakespeare's a dead white guy, but he knows his shit, so we can
overlook that.  [Mr. Morgan (Daryl Mitchell): 10 Things I Hate About You]