all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
@ 2020-06-13 14:31 Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2020-06-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear List,

I've now been using Emacs for many, many years, and there is perhaps a
single feature I'm really missing, namely opening more than one file in a
single buffer, with the contents of the files appearing one after the
other in the same buffer, with some kind of visual separator between them.
I don't know if that feature exists in other text editors.

For example, suppose you write a book, which has fifteen chapters in files
chap1.tex, ..., chap15.tex.  Opening these files in a single buffer means
that you could use isearch-{forward,backward} in the whole book.  (I know
that multi-isearch-buffers could be used in this particular case, but it
is not as convenient to use.)  You could also use query-replace on the
whole book, or reindent all files, or execute shell-command on all files
at once, and so forth.  (Again I know that all this can be done with
already existing features, e.g. through dired, but again I find them not
as convenient as what I have in mind.)

Each file would have its own major and minor modes, and the mode-line
would adapt depending on the file corresponding to the buffer portion in
which the point is currently located.

My question is: Is this feasible, or is the one-to-one correspondence
between buffers and files too deeply rooted in Emacs' codebase that it is
not feasible?  If it is feasible, could this feature be considered for
implementation in a future Emacs version?

Gregory