all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indenting java code
@ 2003-11-03 23:47 Lowell Kirsh
From: Lowell Kirsh @ 2003-11-03 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I change the indent level for Java code from 4 spaces to 2 spaces?

Lowell

* Re: indenting java code
@ 2003-11-04  0:10 ` Andrew Taylor
From: Andrew Taylor @ 2003-11-04  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Kirsh wrote:

> How can I change the indent level for Java code from 4 spaces to 2 spaces?

(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (set 'c-basic-offset 2)))

--
Andrew

* Re: indenting java code
@ 2003-11-04  2:09   ` Lowell Kirsh
From: Lowell Kirsh @ 2003-11-04  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perfect! Thanks.

Lowell

Andrew Taylor wrote:
> Lowell Kirsh wrote:
>
>> How can I change the indent level for Java code from 4 spaces to 2
>> spaces?
>

> (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (set 'c-basic-offset 2)))

* Re: indenting java code
@ 2003-11-04 15:49   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3280.1068074352.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
>            (lambda ()
>              (set 'c-basic-offset 2)))
                ^^^^^
               (setq c-basic-offset 2)

`set' is very bad style here.

* Re: indenting java code
@ 2003-11-05 23:17     ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3280.1068074352.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-05 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> `set' is very bad style here.

Out of curiosity, can you explain why setq is better then set?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

* Re: indenting java code
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3280.1068074352.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-06 18:12       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

>>`set' is very bad style here.
>>

> Out of curiosity, can you explain why setq is better then set?

Because it's the convention to only use set when the SYMBOL isn't known
(lexically) and has to be determined by evaluation.

Because (setq foo bar) == (set 'foo bar) == (set (quote foo) bar),
but setq doesn't require the Lisp reader to allocate 2 cons cells
for (quote foo).

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: indenting java code
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3280.1068074352.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-06 22:14       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-06 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> `set' is very bad style here.
> Out of curiosity, can you explain why setq is better then set?

- You can't make `set' lexically scoped.
- You can't (in general) analyse `set' to see if the variable was properly
  declared, etc... so the byte-compiler can't make sanity checks
  or optimizations.
- Basically `set' is in the same category as `eval' which is also
  something to keep the few cases where nothing else works.