all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Processus delay
@ 2004-04-30  9:55 Vincent Barichard
From: Vincent Barichard @ 2004-04-30  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use emacs and auctex under linux (Emacs 21.3 et Auctex 11.14) and
I notice that at the end of a process launched with the macro C-c C-c,
there is a pause (1 or 2 seconds) between the end of the process and the
detection of the end of the process by emacs.

For example I may have the following trace :

  (see the transcript file for additional information)
  Output written on revue.dvi (23 pages, 79576 bytes).
  Transcript written on revue.log.

  ------ HERE there is 1 or 2 seconds of pause --------

  LaTeX finished at Wed Apr 28 11:55:12

It's very annoying because It's quicker to launch latex in a term.
I haven't this problem with Emacs and Auctex running under Solaris.
I guess it's a problem with the sentinel that doesn't read often the
state of the process, but I'm not really sure.

Is anybody has an idea ??

Thanks for your answers.

Vincent

* Re: Processus delay
@ 2004-04-30 13:08 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-04-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Barichard <vincent.barichard@info.univ-angers.fr> writes:

> Is anybody has an idea ??

you can study the system behavior by wrapping the subprocess w/
a script that saves the time when its child actually finishes.
then compare that time to the time reported by emacs.  if these
differ by 2sec (as observed from macroscopic scale), that means
it is slow sentinel dispatch (but why we still don't know), as
you hypothesized.

thi

* Re: Processus delay
@ 2004-04-30 21:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use emacs and auctex under linux (Emacs 21.3 et Auctex 11.14) and
> I notice that at the end of a process launched with the macro C-c C-c,
> there is a pause (1 or 2 seconds) between the end of the process and the
> detection of the end of the process by emacs.

If you're interested in getting this diagnozed and fixed, maybe you should
try it on Emacs-CVS first and then report the problem via
M-x report-emacs-bug RET.