all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17  0:11 Frédéric Baldit
From: Frédéric Baldit @ 2020-11-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm using emacs (26.1 on debian 10) and I would like to use ange-mode
to connect to the ftp server on which my web site is hosted. I
installed ftp debian pakage. I can connect to my ftp server with ftp in
a terminal. But I cannot open some existing remote file with emacs,
though I have used the syntax indicated: C-x
C-f /user@hostname:file-path-on-root-directory

Could anyone here give me some valuable help?
Thank's in advance,

--
  Frédéric Baldit

* Re: unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17  0:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-11-17  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> though I have used the syntax indicated: C-x
> C-f /user@hostname:file-path-on-root-directory

I think nowadays you need to use the more explicit

   /ftp:user@hostname:...

-- Stefan

* Re: unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17 10:19   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-11-17 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> though I have used the syntax indicated: C-x C-f
    >> /user@hostname:file-path-on-root-directory

    > I think nowadays you need to use the more explicit

    >    /ftp:user@hostname:...

Yes, that works well.

I for one have never been able set my password in ~/.netrc.gpg. Whatever
line I've entered, tramp always ask me for my ftp server password. I
have also tried entering it in my authinfo file with

(setq ange-ftp-netrc-filename "~/path/to/authinfo")

but that doesn't work either.

Does anyone know the correct "machine <name> login port password, etc."
format?

Colin Baxter.

* Re: unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17 12:24     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-11-17 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >>> though I have used the syntax indicated: C-x C-f
    >>> /user@hostname:file-path-on-root-directory

    >> I think nowadays you need to use the more explicit

    >> /ftp:user@hostname:...

    > Yes, that works well.

    > I for one have never been able set my password in
    > ~/.netrc.gpg. Whatever line I've entered, tramp always ask me for
    > my ftp server password. I have also tried entering it in my
    > authinfo file with

    > (setq ange-ftp-netrc-filename "~/path/to/authinfo")

    > but that doesn't work either.

    > Does anyone know the correct "machine <name> login port password,
    > etc."  format?

To answer my own question, use

(customize-set-variable 'ange-ftp-netrc-filename "~/path/to/authinfo.gpg")

* [solved] Re: unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17 14:00       ` Frédéric Baldit
From: Frédéric Baldit @ 2020-11-17 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
thank's for the answer! Entering C-x C-f /ssh:user@hostname:file-path
solved it.
I'm quite impressed by this new capability (for me), as I no long need
to use filezilla to upload my .php web files from local side to
distant web hosting side.

--
  Frédéric Baldit

Le mar. 17 nov. 2020 à 12:24:26 +0000
Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> a écrit:

>     >>> though I have used the syntax indicated: C-x C-f
>     >>> /user@hostname:file-path-on-root-directory
>
>     >> I think nowadays you need to use the more explicit
>
>     >> /ftp:user@hostname:...
>
>     > Yes, that works well.
>
>     > I for one have never been able set my password in
>     > ~/.netrc.gpg. Whatever line I've entered, tramp always ask me
>     > for my ftp server password. I have also tried entering it in my
>     > authinfo file with
>
>     > (setq ange-ftp-netrc-filename "~/path/to/authinfo")
>
>     > but that doesn't work either.
>
>     > Does anyone know the correct "machine <name> login port
>     > password, etc."  format?
>
> To answer my own question, use
>
> (customize-set-variable 'ange-ftp-netrc-filename
> "~/path/to/authinfo.gpg")

* Re: [solved] Re: unable to use ange-mode to edit file on ftp server
@ 2020-11-17 15:10         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-17 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric Baldit; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Frédéric Baldit <frederic.baldit@free.fr> [2020-11-17 17:01]:

> Hi,
> thank's for the answer! Entering C-x C-f /ssh:user@hostname:file-path
> solved it.
> I'm quite impressed by this new capability (for me), as I no long need
> to use filezilla to upload my .php web files from local side to
> distant web hosting side.

You may also use or try /scp:user@hostname:file-path
which acts faster for larger files.