all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x grep
@ 2004-04-28 13:23 John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2004-04-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just posted this yesterday but it was deep in another thread so I
thought I'd ask again.

Does anyone know what's wrong with the grep function in CVS?

M-x grep  gives me

execute-extended-command: Symbol's value as variable is void: grep-mode

Thanks for the help.

John

* Re: M-x grep
@ 2004-04-28 13:57 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2004-04-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    John> I just posted this yesterday but it was deep in another thread so I
    John> thought I'd ask again.

    John> Does anyone know what's wrong with the grep function in CVS?

Hi,

I'm running an up to date GNU Emacs from CVS and `M-x grep' works for me.

    John> M-x grep gives me

    John> execute-extended-command: Symbol's value as variable is void:
    John> grep-mode

Maybe it's something in your startup files. As you can see in the ChangeLog in
the lisp subdirectory of the CVS tree, grep related things were moved from
`compile.el' to there own file `grep.el'. Maybe something was customized at your
site and the transition wasn't made?

    John> Thanks for the help.

    John> John

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

Wanda: Oh, right! To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid
people! I've known sheep who could outwit you. I've worn dresses with
higher IQs, but you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?

A Fish Called Wanda

* Re: M-x grep
@ 2004-04-28 14:56   ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2004-04-28 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>     John> I just posted this yesterday but it was deep in another thread so I
>     John> thought I'd ask again.
>
>     John> Does anyone know what's wrong with the grep function in CVS?
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running an up to date GNU Emacs from CVS and `M-x grep' works for me.
>
>     John> M-x grep gives me
>
>     John> execute-extended-command: Symbol's value as variable is void:
>     John> grep-mode
>
> Maybe it's something in your startup files. As you can see in the ChangeLog in
> the lisp subdirectory of the CVS tree, grep related things were moved from
> `compile.el' to there own file `grep.el'. Maybe something was customized at your
> site and the transition wasn't made?

You were right.  I didn't properly clean my installation before
reinstalling.  After a distclean all is well.  Thanks for the help

John

* Re: M-x grep
@ 2004-04-30 20:44 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-30 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I just posted this yesterday but it was deep in another thread so I

I replied to it in gnu.emacs.gnus (with a note about where the question
should have been sent in the first place).