all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .emacs handling multiple versions
@ 2007-04-04 15:15 perldev
From: perldev @ 2007-04-04 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey, gang:

I'm running Carbon Emacs on OS X as my main emacs, thus my .emacs
file has a bunch of carbon only hooks in it. However, sometimes I'll
use the terminal emacs (shipped with OS X) and the .emacs file causes
problems calling things that the terminal version can't handle. I'd
like to keep the ability to use both... any suggestions for having
the .emacs file know which version is calling it and respond
accordingly?

Thanks so much for the help.

PS: I know I can forgo the .emacs file with "emacs -q", but most of
my problems occur when some other application calls emacs
automatically via the environmental $EDITOR....