all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 21:19 Alin Soare
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-12-03 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Dev

A very useful function for generating private environments is the
(gensym&optional x) in common lisp. It can replace in some places the
closures.

In Clisp it is defined in C something like this:

char*
gensym (char *x)
{
 static int x;
 char a[100];
 snprintf(a, 100, "%s%d", x? x:"G",  x++);
 return strdup (a);
}

Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and did
not find it...

Alin
*

---
*
Wenn ich 'Kultur' höre, nehme ich meine Pistole
Hermann Göring
*
*

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 21:30 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2010-12-03 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alin Soare; +Cc: Emacs Dev

> Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and did
> not find it...

`make-symbol' creates uninterned symbols.

Ted

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 21:33   ` Alin Soare
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-12-03 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Edward O'Connor; +Cc: Emacs Dev

> Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and did
> > not find it...
>
> `make-symbol' creates uninterned symbols.

The name is the problem. Does it generate an uninexistent name, or have I
write a function to generate the uninexistent name ?

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 21:41 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-12-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alin Soare; +Cc: Emacs Dev

Alin Soare <as1789@gmail.com> writes:

> Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and did
> not find it...

gensym is a compiled Lisp function in `cl-macs.el'.

(gensym &optional PREFIX)

Generate a new uninterned symbol.
The name is made by appending a number to PREFIX, default "G".

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 21:44   ` Alin Soare
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-12-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Emacs Dev

> > Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and
> did
> > not find it...
>
> gensym is a compiled Lisp function in `cl-macs.el'.
>
> (gensym &optional PREFIX)
>
> Generate a new uninterned symbol.
> The name is made by appending a number to PREFIX, default "G".

LOL. Tabs defined as windows configurations must work without (require 'cl)
.

Alin.

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:03     ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2010-12-03 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alin Soare; +Cc: Emacs Dev

> The name is the problem. Does it generate an uninexistent name, or have I
> write a function to generate the uninexistent name ?

The name isn't the problem. You can (make-symbol "foo") a bunch of
times, and you'll have a bunch of different symbols. That's what it
means for them to be uninterned.

Ted

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:12       ` Alin Soare
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-12-03 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Edward O'Connor; +Cc: Emacs Dev

2010/12/4 Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>

> > The name is the problem. Does it generate an uninexistent name, or have I
> > write a function to generate the uninexistent name ?
>
> The name isn't the problem. You can (make-symbol "foo") a bunch of
> times, and you'll have a bunch of different symbols. That's what it
> means for them to be uninterned.

Good.

Can you bind a value in variable field/ evaluate a symbol as a variable if
it is not interned ?

Otherwise, can you create an obarray (different of main obarr) and intern
within it only a few symbols (in this case the matter ), and evaluate within
that environment ?

* RE: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:23         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-03 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Alin Soare', 'Edward O'Connor'; +Cc: 'Emacs Dev'

> can you create an obarray (different of main obarr) and intern
> within it only a few symbols (in this case the matter ), and
> evaluate within that environment ?

Yes.  That's the idea behind having separate obarrays.

There are no doubt examples of this in the Lisp sources.
If not, here is one: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/synonyms.el.

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-03 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alin Soare; +Cc: Emacs Dev

> A very useful function for generating private environments is the
> (gensym&optional x) in common lisp. It can replace in some places the
> closures.
> Does this function already exist in elisp ? I looked in the manual and did
> not find it...

It's called make-symbol.

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:38           ` Alin Soare
From: Alin Soare @ 2010-12-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Edward O'Connor, Emacs Dev

2010/12/4 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>

> > can you create an obarray (different of main obarr) and intern
> > within it only a few symbols (in this case the matter ), and
> > evaluate within that environment ?
>
> Yes.  That's the idea behind having separate obarrays.
>
> There are no doubt examples of this in the Lisp sources.
> If not, here is one: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/synonyms.el.

Thanks.

Tomorrow I send the minimal completions I need for tabs within C code, and
the lisp scripts that define tabs as window-configuration.

* Re: Generating an unique symbol in elisp
@ 2010-12-03 22:46         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-03 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alin Soare; +Cc: Edward O'Connor, Emacs Dev

> Can you bind a value in variable field/ evaluate a symbol as a variable if
> it is not interned ?

Yes.  The fact that it's interned or not only affects the Lisp reader,
not the interpreter.

> Otherwise, can you create an obarray (different of main obarr) and intern
> within it only a few symbols (in this case the matter ),

Yes.

> and evaluate within that environment ?

Elisp does not have such a notion, no.