all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: X selections and multi tty
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:47:05 -0300	[thread overview]

>   /* Check each display on the same terminal,
>      to see if this Emacs job now owns the selection
>      through that display.  */
[...]
> This contradicts what I thought: it assumes that if Emacs owns the
> selection on a different display, it doesn't need to relinquish
> ownership of the selection.

I think it only checks to see if it owns the selection *on the same
"display"*, just via some other "terminal" (since several terminals can
share the same display).

This distinction between terminals and displays is pretty subtle and I'm
sure we have bugs around it in the keyboard code. So-called
terminal-local variables are actually keyboard-local (aka
"display"-local), but terminal-parameter is really per-terminal rather
than per-keyboard.  And we have somewhat explicit visibility of
terminals but OTOH keyboards are hidden pretty deep from Elisp.