all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Suggestion / feature request
@ 2012-04-19 13:28 Carlos Aguilar
From: Carlos Aguilar @ 2012-04-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi everybody,
I am a heavy user of doc-view mode and more generally of emacs, so first
of all big thanks to all the developers for their contributions to this
unique piece of software.

I write to the list to ask whether an idea I have had could be
implemented and/or would be useful.

I often use doc-view mode with medium to large pdf/ps/dvi files, when
writing/modifying latex documents. Whether these are slides or a
document with or without chapters, my modification often just change a
small amount of pages. This is almost always the case for slides as they
are independent. For documents there are changes typically in the last
page in small documents, or those between the point in which I am and
the end of the associated chapter. As the conversion process creates an
image for every page in each iteration most of the processing is useless
(it regenerates images of pages that already exist).

I wondered if it would be possible to keep a set of signatures of the
pdf/ps/dvi pages processed so that those that are unchanged are not
reconverted to (already existing) bitmap images.

Best,

Carlos Aguilar