all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-03-30  1:43 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-03-30  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I see the "Version 24.3 released" ChangeLog entries got merged to trunk.
Well, some of them did:

  ./doc/emacs/ChangeLog:  * Version 24.3 released.
  ./doc/lispintro/ChangeLog:      * Version 24.3 released.
  ./doc/lispref/ChangeLog:        * Version 24.3 released.
  ./lib-src/ChangeLog:    * Version 24.3 released.
  ./leim/ChangeLog:       * Version 24.3 released.
  ./lisp/ChangeLog:       * Version 24.3 released.

No idea why it was only these ones.

I deliberately did not merge the commit that added these entries,
because they make no sense outside of the branch in which they
originated.

This seems obvious to me, but to spell it out, eg doc/emacs/ChangeLog
now says:

2013-03-16  Glenn Morris  <rgm@gnu.org>

            * emacs.texi (Top): Add some stuff specific to www.gnu.org.

2013-03-16  Glenn Morris  <rgm@gnu.org>

            * Version 24.3 released.

2013-03-04  Paul Eggert  <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>

            Prefer UTF-8 for documentation.

This obviously implies that "Prefer UTF-8 for documentation." is in
version 24.3, but it isn't, because it was only in trunk.

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-03-30  2:28 ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-03-30  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:43:39 -0400
Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> 2013-03-16  Glenn Morris  <rgm@gnu.org>
>
>             * Version 24.3 released.

I think the date should be 2013-03-11, why is it 03-16?  Because it's
the merge date?

--
Xue Fuqiao
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-03-30  2:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-30  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I deliberately did not merge the commit that added these entries,
> because they make no sense outside of the branch in which they
> originated.

In the long term the branch will disappear, so this info needs to be kept
somewhere else.

> This obviously implies that "Prefer UTF-8 for documentation." is in
> version 24.3, but it isn't, because it was only in trunk.

Right, it is misleading.  The message is only meant to say that 24.3 was
released on that day and that all changes from that release are included
in the current code.

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-03-30  2:38   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-03-30  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:28:44 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I deliberately did not merge the commit that added these entries,
> > because they make no sense outside of the branch in which they
> > originated.

> In the long term the branch will disappear, so this info needs to be kept
> somewhere else.

Do you mean that the `emacs-xx' branch will disappear?

--

@ 2013-03-30 16:16     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > I deliberately did not merge the commit that added these entries,
>> > because they make no sense outside of the branch in which they
>> > originated.
>> In the long term the branch will disappear, so this info needs to be kept
>> somewhere else.
> Do you mean that the `emacs-xx' branch will disappear?

Yes,

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-03-30 16:40   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-03-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

I refer to http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ for release dates. :)

>> This obviously implies that "Prefer UTF-8 for documentation." is in
>> version 24.3, but it isn't, because it was only in trunk.
>
> Right, it is misleading.  The message is only meant to say that 24.3 was
> released on that day and that all changes from that release are included
> in the current code.

I think you need to find another way to convey that information then,
because doing it with ChangeLogs (why only some of them?) is too
misleading IMO.

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-04-03 17:23     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> In the long term the branch will disappear, so this info needs to be kept
>> somewhere else.
> I refer to http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ for release dates. :)
>>> This obviously implies that "Prefer UTF-8 for documentation." is in
>>> version 24.3, but it isn't, because it was only in trunk.
>> Right, it is misleading.  The message is only meant to say that 24.3 was
>> released on that day and that all changes from that release are included
>> in the current code.
> I think you need to find another way to convey that information then,
> because doing it with ChangeLogs (why only some of them?) is too
> misleading IMO.

I think we already spent more time on this issue than it deserves.

* Re: "Version 24.3 released" in trunk ChangeLogs
@ 2013-04-04  3:46       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-04-04  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I think we already spent more time on this issue than it deserves.

I fixed it myself, since I don't want my name associated with a
ChangeLog entry that is wrong in every way (not even the right merge
date).