all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* package.el: Optional *maximum-version* flag for dependencies?
@ 2014-07-02 13:33 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2014-07-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

When a dependency breaks (nlinum v1.4 :P ), it would be good to have some
way to hold back the version (v1.3), until a fix is released.

Could there be an optional *maximum-version* argument when specifying
dependencies?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: package.el: Optional *maximum-version* flag for dependencies?
@ 2014-07-02 13:55 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-02 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Could there be an optional *maximum-version* argument when specifying
> dependencies?

For dependencies between packages, no we don't offer that.
The closest we have is the ability for the end-user to "pin"
a particular version (see package-pinned-packages).

        Stefan

PS: I can't remember hearing complaints about breakage in nlinum-1.4.

* Re: package.el: Optional *maximum-version* flag for dependencies?
@ 2014-07-02 14:16   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-02 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Help

Was that function renamed in v24?

I can't find it. I web searched that it was suggested that
package-pinned-packages is replaced by package-desc-reqs.
Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-07-02 14:52     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Was that function renamed in v24?

Ah, no, apparently it's new in the upcoming 24.4.