all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
@ 2007-10-17 16:51 Allin Cottrell
From: Allin Cottrell @ 2007-10-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently updated from emacs 21.4 to 22.1.  There's one change
I don't like and I'm wondering if I can revert it via ~/.emacs
somehow.

That is (a) I like having a non-zero fringe, but (b) I don't like
the way the mouse pointer behaves differently in the fringe in
22.1.

I'm mostly editing C source and TeX files, and I want to be able
to select lines of text with a mouse drag.  This was easy in 21.4,
but now I find I have to be very particular about the initial
pointer position to do this: too far to the left and I'm into
the fringe, where mouse-down-plus-motion does not initiate
drag-selection (the mouse just swipes uselessly); too far to the
right and I miss the first character(s) on the line.

So what I'd like to do is enforce the old behavior: in the
left fringe, mouse-down-plus-motion starts drag-selection.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

* Re: fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
@ 2007-10-17 23:12 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-10-17 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Allin Cottrell <cottrell@wfu.edu> writes:

> So what I'd like to do is enforce the old behavior: in the left
> fringe, mouse-down-plus-motion starts drag-selection.

    (global-set-key [left-fringe down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)

(Ditto for `right-fringe', if desired.)

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
@ 2007-10-18 20:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-10-18 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Allin Cottrell <cottrell@wfu.edu>
> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:51:04 -0400
>
> That is (a) I like having a non-zero fringe, but (b) I don't like
> the way the mouse pointer behaves differently in the fringe in
> 22.1.

What the mouse does on the fringe is determined by a simple key
binding, like what the mouse does on the mode line.  For example:

  (global-set-key [left-fringe mouse-1] 'mouse-set-point)

See other bindings like this in mouse.el.  You can rebind this as you
see fit.

* Re: fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
@ 2007-10-19  0:30 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-19  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I recently updated from emacs 21.4 to 22.1.  There's one change
> I don't like and I'm wondering if I can revert it via ~/.emacs
> somehow.

> That is (a) I like having a non-zero fringe, but (b) I don't like
> the way the mouse pointer behaves differently in the fringe in
> 22.1.

> I'm mostly editing C source and TeX files, and I want to be able
> to select lines of text with a mouse drag.  This was easy in 21.4,
> but now I find I have to be very particular about the initial
> pointer position to do this: too far to the left and I'm into
> the fringe, where mouse-down-plus-motion does not initiate
> drag-selection (the mouse just swipes uselessly); too far to the
> right and I miss the first character(s) on the line.

> So what I'd like to do is enforce the old behavior: in the
> left fringe, mouse-down-plus-motion starts drag-selection.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd suggest you try

  (define-key function-key-map [left-fringe down-mouse-1] 'down-mouse-1)

-- Stefan

* Re: fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
@ 2007-10-20 13:11   ` Allin Cottrell
From: Allin Cottrell @ 2007-10-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I recently updated from emacs 21.4 to 22.1.  There's one change
>> I don't like and I'm wondering if I can revert it via ~/.emacs
>> somehow.
>
>> That is (a) I like having a non-zero fringe, but (b) I don't like
>> the way the mouse pointer behaves differently in the fringe in
>> 22.1.
>
> I'd suggest you try
>
>   (define-key function-key-map [left-fringe down-mouse-1] 'down-mouse-1)

Thanks, that looks like just what I want.

Allin Cottrell