all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatic Ediff-session upon opening file conflicted by a version control update-conflict
@ 2007-11-12  9:40 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-11-12  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I make ediff automatically parse the conflicts tags ( <<<<
File A, >>>> File B, ... ) and enter into an ediff merge-2 or merge-3
session when I open a file that has been conflicted by an cvs,svn,..
update. File opening can be either direct or through a svn/cvs/git-
status buffer.

/Nordlöw

* Re: Automatic Ediff-session upon opening file conflicted by a version control update-conflict
@ 2007-11-14 15:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-11-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> How can I make ediff automatically parse the conflicts tags ( <<<<
> File A, >>>> File B, ... ) and enter into an ediff merge-2 or merge-3
> session when I open a file that has been conflicted by an cvs,svn,..
> update. File opening can be either direct or through a svn/cvs/git-
> status buffer.

Normally when you enter a file with diff3 conflict markers you should be
able to automatically activate smerge-mode (a minor mode specifically
designed for that).  Ideally, this already works completely
automatically (thanks to VC).  If it doesn't, please give us
some details (I know it doesn't always work, but I'm not sure in which
circumstances it fails, so it'll help me fix it).

In case smerge-mode is not automatically activated, you may want to add
something like the following to your .emacs:

   (defun sm-try-smerge ()
     (save-excursion
       (goto-char (point-min))
       (when (re-search-forward "^<<<<<<< " nil t)
         (smerge-mode 1))))
   (when (fboundp 'smerge-mode) (add-hook 'find-file-hooks 'sm-try-smerge t))

Now, once smerge-mode is activated, you can enter ediff with C-c ^ E