all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sh-newline-and-indent
@ 2008-07-22  3:30 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-22  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

In shell-script-mode, C-j is bound to `sh-newline-and-indent'.

However, sh-newline-and-indent seems to be a not-very-good function --
it doesn't actually do correct indentation, but rather just indents the
same as the previous line.  The normal `newline-and-indent' function
seems to work much better.

Is this function/binding a leftover from times when shell-script-mode
was not so good at indentation?  Should they be deleted?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]

* Re: sh-newline-and-indent
@ 2008-07-22  3:43 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-22  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In shell-script-mode, C-j is bound to `sh-newline-and-indent'.
> However, sh-newline-and-indent seems to be a not-very-good function --
> it doesn't actually do correct indentation, but rather just indents the
> same as the previous line.  The normal `newline-and-indent' function
> seems to work much better.

> Is this function/binding a leftover from times when shell-script-mode
> was not so good at indentation?  Should they be deleted?

Sounds like it, yes,