all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* lsh + vc-mode
@ 2009-04-11 17:23 Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2009-04-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sent this to bug-lsh; does anyone have a clue how to go about solving
this?

From ams Mon Apr  6 17:29:12 -0400 2009
To: bug-lsh@gnu.org
Subject: emacs vc-mode and lsh...

Hi,

not entierly sure where to send this.

When one tries to use vc-mode in emacs, and uses lsh one gets the
following message (doing C-x v = on a file that is under CVS, cvs diff
works):

| lsh: Decrypting private key failed.
| lsh: User authentication failed.
| lsh: Protocol error: No more auth methods available
| lsh: Need real authentication.
| cvs [log aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I am not sure if this is just emacs always expecting that if you use
ssh you will not get prompted for a password, or if it is something
else.

Cheers, Alfred.

* Re: lsh + vc-mode
@ 2009-04-11 17:38 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-04-11 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I am not sure if this is just Emacs always expecting that if you use
> ssh you will not get prompted for a password, or if it is
> something else.

Actually¸it's VC that requires backend commands to proceed without any
user interaction (which implies "no passwd" among other things).

* Re: lsh + vc-mode
@ 2009-04-11 17:55   ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2009-04-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

   > I am not sure if this is just Emacs always expecting that if you
   > use ssh you will not get prompted for a password, or if it is
   > something else.

   Actually it's VC that requires backend commands to proceed without
   any user interaction (which implies "no passwd" among other
   things).

Is this always the case?  Tha is, will VC behave incorrectly if you
have a OpenSSH secret key that has a password?

I'll see if I can silence lsh somehow...

* Re: lsh + vc-mode
@ 2009-04-11 18:23     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-04-11 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I am not sure if this is just Emacs always expecting that if you
>> use ssh you will not get prompted for a password, or if it is
>> something else.

>    Actually it's VC that requires backend commands to proceed without
>    any user interaction (which implies "no passwd" among other
>    things).

> Is this always the case?  Tha is, will VC behave incorrectly if you
> have a OpenSSH secret key that has a password?

Pretty much, yes.  IIRC you might be able to get away with a passwd if
the backend uses an X11 dialog for it (such as ssh-askpass).  Otherwise,
you'll need to use an agent.