all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* is there a unicode character palette in emacs?
@ 2009-08-15 14:34 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-15 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

has anyone developed a command that calls up a unicode table? that is,
similar to Mac OS's Character Palette or Windows's charmap.exe?

The purpose being that user can visually lookup unicode glyphs by category,
and pick out the one she wants. This categorization can either be unicode
defined subranges (charmap has done), or more arbitrarily defined categories
that groups symbols commonly used by particular field (e.g. math, arrows,
printer's symbols, phonetics, letter like, musical... (as done by Mac OS
X)).

Thanks.

 Xah

* Re: is there a unicode character palette in emacs?
@ 2009-08-15 15:08 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-08-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xahlee; +Cc: emacs-devel

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
> has anyone developed a command that calls up a unicode table? that is,
> similar to Mac OS's Character Palette or Windows's charmap.exe?

M-x list-charset-chars RET unicode-bmp RET

might be useful in this regard.

For many uses, "C-x 8 RET" is probably more useful though.
It works great with escape completion
e.g., at the prompt, type:  *music SPC
and it will list the names of unicode characters containing "music".

-Miles

--
Youth, n. The Period of Possibility, when Archimedes finds a fulcrum,
Cassandra has a following and seven cities compete for the honor of endowing a

* Re: is there a unicode character palette in emacs?
@ 2009-08-16  5:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-16  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xahlee; +Cc: emacs-devel

> has anyone developed a command that calls up a unicode table? that is,
> similar to Mac OS's Character Palette or Windows's charmap.exe?

X-Symbol had such a thing, back then (tho it wasn't for unicode).

* Re: is there a unicode character palette in emacs?
@ 2009-08-28  9:00   ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2009-08-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> has anyone developed a command that calls up a unicode table? that is,
>> similar to Mac OS's Character Palette or Windows's charmap.exe?

> X-Symbol had such a thing, back then (tho it wasn't for unicode).

But does X-Symbol work on a recent Emacs > 23?
I always had problems to make it run because it complained about
unavailable font stuff. After a short Google search I found this one:

<URL:http://proofgeneral.inf.ed.ac.uk/trac/ticket/196>

Regards,
Marcus
--
"anger thought so no thought touched inside crazy
(disembodied guttural noise need not make sense)"

* Re: is there a unicode character palette in emacs?
@ 2009-08-28 15:21     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> has anyone developed a command that calls up a unicode table? that is,
>>> similar to Mac OS's Character Palette or Windows's charmap.exe?
>> X-Symbol had such a thing, back then (tho it wasn't for unicode).
> But does X-Symbol work on a recent Emacs > 23?

AFAIK X-Symbol is somewhere between moribond and dead.  A large part of
its functionality is now offered by stock Emacs (and stock GNU/Linux
for the font side).

I only mentioned it as a piece of code that might be relevant for
someone who wants to implement the requested feature.