all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Deactivate a package without uninstalling it
@ 2011-07-08  2:29 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-08  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

How can I prevent Emacs from activating an ELPA package which is installed
system-wide?
E.g. how can I have the AUCTeX package installed but without it
hijacking the default latex-mode?

* Re: Deactivate a package without uninstalling it
@ 2011-07-08  7:13 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2011-07-08  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> How can I prevent Emacs from activating an ELPA package which is installed
> system-wide?
> E.g. how can I have the AUCTeX package installed but without it
> hijacking the default latex-mode?

The AUCTeX manual offers the following:

   If you want to remove a preinstalled AUCTeX completely before any of
its modes have been used,
     (unload-feature 'tex-site)
   should accomplish that.

I don't know how the ELPA version deals with it.

In any case,

M-x customize-variable RET TeX-modes RET

should give you control about what kind of modes you want to have AUCTeX
to provide.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Deactivate a package without uninstalling it
@ 2011-07-08 13:00   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-08 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> How can I prevent Emacs from activating an ELPA package which is installed
>> system-wide?
>> E.g. how can I have the AUCTeX package installed but without it
>> hijacking the default latex-mode?
> The AUCTeX manual offers the following:

Thanks, but I want a solution that works for any ELPA package.
AUCTeX was just an example.

* Re: Deactivate a package without uninstalling it
@ 2011-07-08 14:02     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> How can I prevent Emacs from activating an ELPA package which is installed
>>> system-wide?
>>> E.g. how can I have the AUCTeX package installed but without it
>>> hijacking the default latex-mode?
>> The AUCTeX manual offers the following:
>
> Thanks, but I want a solution that works for any ELPA package.
> AUCTeX was just an example.

The variable down below seems to be a "whitelist". May be you are
looking for a "blacklist" variant of this variable something like
package-dont-load-list ...

,----[ C-h v package-load-list RET ]

`----

@ 2011-07-08 15:52       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> | package-load-list is a variable defined in `package.el'.

Wonderful, that does it: (setq package-load-list '((auctex nil) all))

I'd still like to have some way to control this from the
package-list-packages GUI, but that's for later,

* Re: Deactivate a package without uninstalling it
@ 2011-07-08 16:17 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2011-07-08 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan> How can I prevent Emacs from activating an ELPA package which is
Stefan> installed system-wide?  E.g. how can I have the AUCTeX package
Stefan> installed but without it hijacking the default latex-mode?

I haven't followed all the changes made in Emacs, but in my original
package.el, you couldn't do this.  All you could do was remove the
package.

Tom