all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-05 20:17 Tom
From: Tom @ 2014-03-05 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Here's an idea from IDEA for Emacs programming mode developers.
This combination of snippets, completion and transforming
typed expressions seems like a useful convenience feature:

http://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2014/03/postfix-completion/

* Re: Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-06  3:24 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-03-06  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:

> Here's an idea from IDEA for Emacs programming mode developers.
> This combination of snippets, completion and transforming
> typed expressions seems like a useful convenience feature:
>
> http://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2014/03/postfix-completion/

Looks cute, but these are basically local refactorings.

I think I'd prefer invoking them the usual way (with some key
combination, not after typing a dot), but as long as Emacs has no native
refactoring support, the question is moot anyway.

And when it does, implementing something like this would be relatively
trivial.

* Re: Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-06  7:46   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2014-03-06  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Tom, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Here's an idea from IDEA for Emacs programming mode developers.
>> This combination of snippets, completion and transforming
>> typed expressions seems like a useful convenience feature:
>>
>> http://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2014/03/postfix-completion/
>
> Looks cute, but these are basically local refactorings.
>
> I think I'd prefer invoking them the usual way (with some key
> combination, not after typing a dot), but as long as Emacs has no native
> refactoring support, the question is moot anyway.

Cedet has SRecode, which is useful for refactoring.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-06 17:01     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-03-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: joakim; +Cc: Tom, emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Cedet has SRecode, which is useful for refactoring.

Looks like a code generation tool. Can you give an example of it being
used for refactoring (i.e. taking an existing piece of code and changing
it according to some rules)?

* Re: Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-06 21:37       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2014-03-06 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Tom, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>
>> Cedet has SRecode, which is useful for refactoring.
>
> Looks like a code generation tool. Can you give an example of it being
> used for refactoring (i.e. taking an existing piece of code and changing
> it according to some rules)?

You can feed it tags from the semantic parser. You can transform the
tags with lisp before you feed them to the generator. This is not like
the Eclipse refactoring tool I saw demoed once.

My own cases are a bit specialized. I do have a more useful example of the code
generation half of the process for generation of C code from lisp for
the Ergodox keyboard firmware.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Getting ideas from other editors: Postfix Code Completion
@ 2014-03-07 20:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Tom, emacs-devel

> Looks cute, but these are basically local refactorings.

Actualy, there are 2 parts:
1- "local refactoring".  This should be handled via skeletons/snippets.
2- "postfix completion" which in Emacs would be called "completion of
   abbrev names" where IDEA's examples are abbrevs that start with ".".