all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To: Jordon Biondo <jordonbiondo@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: window.el has no provide
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:12:39 -0500	[thread overview]

> My init generates requires for all packages I have configurations for which
> is why I’m requiring ‘window in the first place.

Beware: some config vars can move because of file-renamings, so the
`require' might then fail.  Other problems can be that some custom vars
might be in files which shouldn't directly be required (you should
require the "parent" file instead).

FWIW, I don't have a single `require' in my ~/.emacs which sits at
about 60KB.

Usually `require' is needed in Elisp packages, but not in ~/.emacs.
So if/when you do need it there, it's worth reporting it via
M-x report-emacs-bug: there are definitely cases where it's not a bug
that the user needs to do a `require', but for "normal" use it
shouldn't be needed.

> Real problem or not, I thought it was weird that there was no provide.

Many of the preloaded files aren't really considered as independent
packages, instead they're just a convenient place to group related
functionality of the base system.
So they don't come with a `provide' statement.
I think it's good to structure even this "base system" as "independent"
packages, but there are many other things which would be nice, so we
can't do them all.