all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Require 'newcomment'?
@ 2013-04-14  8:42 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-14  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

I use some variables defined in 'newcomment.el' in Emacs Lisp libraries,
and did not have problems with this on my machine, but got some feedback
that it might be necessary to require newcomment before using it.

Now I'm a bit confused: is it indeed necessary, or can one assume that
these core libraries are loaded anyway?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Require 'newcomment'?
@ 2013-04-14  8:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-14  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:42:11 +0200
>
> I use some variables defined in 'newcomment.el' in Emacs Lisp libraries,
> and did not have problems with this on my machine, but got some feedback
> that it might be necessary to require newcomment before using it.
>
> Now I'm a bit confused: is it indeed necessary, or can one assume that
> these core libraries are loaded anyway?

newcomment is preloaded starting with Emacs 24.3.  With older
versions, you need to load it explicitly.  So it is better to require
it, if you want your variables to work with older versions.

* Re: Require 'newcomment'?
@ 2013-04-14  8:59   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:42:11 +0200
>>
>> I use some variables defined in 'newcomment.el' in Emacs Lisp libraries,
>> and did not have problems with this on my machine, but got some feedback
>> that it might be necessary to require newcomment before using it.
>>
>> Now I'm a bit confused: is it indeed necessary, or can one assume that
>> these core libraries are loaded anyway?
>
> newcomment is preloaded starting with Emacs 24.3.  With older
> versions, you need to load it explicitly.  So it is better to require
> it, if you want your variables to work with older versions.

Explains the confusion - thanks!

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Require 'newcomment'?
@ 2013-04-14 16:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I use some variables defined in 'newcomment.el' in Emacs Lisp libraries,
> and did not have problems with this on my machine, but got some feedback
> that it might be necessary to require newcomment before using it.

It's usually not necessary to explicitly load newcomment.
OTOH it's important to call comment-normalize-vars before calling its
functions (expect for those functions which are also commands).