all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-25 18:29 Jon Dufresne
From: Jon Dufresne @ 2013-07-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I recently updated my system to Fedora 19. Fedora 19 packages Gnome 3.8 and
Emacs 24.2.1.

I run Emacs in daemon mode. When using tools such as mercurial or git from
the command line, an editor is invoked with the command "emacsclient -c
FILENAME". When this editor is invoked I want the newly created frame
immediately raised to the top of Gnome's window stack so I may interact
with it.

In previous Fedora/Emacs versions I achieved this with the following in my
init.el

(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
          (lambda (frame)
            (raise-frame frame)))

This no longer works. Now whenever mercurial invokes the editor the frame
remains at the bottom of the stack of windows.

First off, should this elisp do what I'm trying to do? Is this a regression
in Emacs or an issue with Gnome? If this is wrong, what is the correct way
to always raise new frames?

Thanks,
Jon

* Re: emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-29  8:42 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-07-29  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Jon Dufresne

Hi Jon,

> I recently updated my system to Fedora 19. Fedora 19 packages Gnome
> 3.8 and Emacs 24.2.1.
>
> I run Emacs in daemon mode. When using tools such as mercurial or git
> from the command line, an editor is invoked with the command
> "emacsclient -c FILENAME". When this editor is invoked I want the
> newly created frame immediately raised to the top of Gnome's window
> stack so I may interact with it.
>
> In previous Fedora/Emacs versions I achieved this with the following
> in my init.el
>
> (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
>           (lambda (frame)
>             (raise-frame frame)))
>
> This no longer works. Now whenever mercurial invokes the editor the
> frame remains at the bottom of the stack of windows.
>
> First off, should this elisp do what I'm trying to do?

Dunno.  AFAIK, it can happen that the newly created frame is not yet
displayed (i.e., created by X) when `after-make-frame-functions' are
called.

Try to use a delay, like this:

(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
	  (lambda (frame)
	    (run-with-idle-timer 1. nil 'raise-frame frame)))

> Is this a regression in Emacs or an issue with Gnome?  If this is
> wrong, what is the correct way to always raise new frames?

Note that `raise-frame' doesn't make the frame "current".  Maybe Gnome
raises the frame that has focus automatically?  Then you want
`select-frame-set-input-focus' instead of `raise-frame'.

If your problem is specific to emacsclient invocations, it is probably
better to configure `server-window' instead of
`after-make-frame-functions'.  This is what I do:

(setq server-window
      (lambda (buf)
	(let ((win (display-buffer-pop-up-frame buf ())))
	  (select-frame-set-input-focus (window-frame win)))))

Hope one of the above proposals helps.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-29 11:56 ` chad
From: chad @ 2013-07-29 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jon Dufresne; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 25 Jul 2013, at 13:29, Jon Dufresne <jon.dufresne@gmail.com> wrote:

> I run Emacs in daemon mode. When using tools such as mercurial or git from the command line, an editor is invoked with the command "emacsclient -c FILENAME". When this editor is invoked I want the newly created frame immediately raised to the top of Gnome's window stack so I may interact with it.
>
> In previous Fedora/Emacs versions I achieved this with the following in my init.el
>
> (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
>           (lambda (frame)
>             (raise-frame frame)))
>
> This no longer works. Now whenever mercurial invokes the editor the frame remains at the bottom of the stack of windows.

I used to use:

 (setq server-visit-hook (append server-visit-hook '(raise-frame)))

I'm not in a position to test it right now, but you might give it a try.

Hope that helps,
~Chad

* Re: emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-29 15:20   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-07-29 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: chad; +Cc: Jon Dufresne, emacs-devel

>  (setq server-visit-hook (append server-visit-hook '(raise-frame)))

I strongly recommend you use `add-hook' to manipulate hooks.

* Re: emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-29 15:44     ` chad
From: chad @ 2013-07-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Jon Dufresne, emacs-devel

On 29 Jul 2013, at 10:20, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> (setq server-visit-hook (append server-visit-hook '(raise-frame)))
>
> I strongly recommend you use `add-hook' to manipulate hooks.

Good point! That particular snippet might actually pre-date add-hook;
it's from somewhere around emacs 21, maybe 22. Sorry for not fixing
it up before sending it.

~Chad

* Re: emacsclient always raise frame (possible regression)
@ 2013-07-29 16:41       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-07-29 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: chad; +Cc: Jon Dufresne, emacs-devel

>>> (setq server-visit-hook (append server-visit-hook '(raise-frame)))
>> I strongly recommend you use `add-hook' to manipulate hooks.
> Good point! That particular snippet might actually pre-date add-hook;

Of course, such things happen.

> it's from somewhere around emacs 21, maybe 22.

Note that add-hook was added long before Emacs-21.