all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Do we need to bind to both RET and <return> variants?
@ 2019-01-23 21:09 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2019-01-23 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

For the return key (for Emacs GUI) and the C-m variant RET (in nowindow
mode, terminal) to both work, should we be binding to both RET and <return>
variants?

I am sure that this issue comes up now and often, but I cannot find an
older thread with a definitive answer.

Recently this came up on Org mode thread. Earlier the <return> variant of
bindings were used, but then S-<return>, etc. did not work for a user using
Emacs in terminal mode, so the binding was changed to S-RET. But now ..
that doesn't work for Emacs GUI users :)

Ref: https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2019-01/msg00318.html

So what solution would make everyone happy?

--
Kaushal Modi