all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#55865: [BUG] 28.1.50; Msg "Local variables list is not properly terminated." displayed when opening a file with line `print("Local Variable:")`
@ 2022-06-08 23:02 Lin Sun
From: Lin Sun @ 2022-06-08 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 55865

Create a file /tmp/test.sh with one line:

print("Local Variables:")

Then open this test.sh file with emacs, a message appeared in the *Message* buffer:

>Local variables list is not properly terminated.

The message produced by function `hack-local-variables--find-variables`.

Please help to check it. Thanks

B.R.
Lin

* bug#55865: [BUG] 28.1.50; Msg "Local variables list is not properly terminated." displayed when opening a file with line `print("Local Variable:")`
  2022-06-08 23:02 bug#55865: [BUG] 28.1.50; Msg "Local variables list is not properly terminated." displayed when opening a file with line `print("Local Variable:")` Lin Sun
@ 2022-06-09 12:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-06-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lin Sun; +Cc: 55865

Lin Sun <sunlin7@hotmail.com> writes:

> Create a file /tmp/test.sh with one line:
>
> print("Local Variables:")
>
> Then open this test.sh file with emacs, a message appeared in the
> *Message* buffer:
>
>>Local variables list is not properly terminated.
>
> The message produced by function `hack-local-variables--find-variables`.
>
> Please help to check it. Thanks

I don't think there's anything to fix here -- Emacs makes a guess that
this is a Local Variable section, but then it turns out that it's not,
and it says so.

So if you don't want that message, you have to obfuscate the string.

Closing this bug report.

@ 2022-06-09 16:04   ` Lin Sun
From: Lin Sun @ 2022-06-09 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 55865@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi Lars,

Thank you for your explanation, and agree with you. Thank you.

B.R.
Lin

@ 2022-11-23 15:22   ` Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-23 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Lin Sun, 55865

> I don't think there's anything to fix here -- Emacs makes a guess that
> this is a Local Variable section, but then it turns out that it's not,
> and it says so.
>
> So if you don't want that message, you have to obfuscate the string.

Indeed.  If there's something to fix here it's the relative lack
of information.
E.g. we could include in the message some info about the name of the
file in which we found the `Local Variables:` string (and its position
too, while at it).

We could also try and reduce the occurrence of such false positives
(e.g. by checking for the presence of `End:` or the presence of
the same prefix on the next line), but that would increase the
risk of emitting no message when the users do intend to write a `Local
Variables:` section but make a mistake writing it.