all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 11:10 Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-11 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:

H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve

then with UNICODE it should be possible to put the accents on the tops
of the next letters, right? If so, how do I do it in Emacs?

-- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
       [not found] <mailman.4558.1342005053.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-11 11:33 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-07-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>
> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve
>
> then with UNICODE it should be possible to put the accents on the tops
> of the next letters, right? If so, how do I do it in Emacs?

Strictly speaking, with emacs, you do it with C-x 8 ' e --> é
Type C-x 8 C-h for the list.

But you can also do it with xmodmap, either using dead-keys like in
AZERTY layouts, or with Compose (Multi_key) which works similarly to
C-x 8 only at the X level, or with other modifier keys.

For accents, I use Compose, and for greek and mathematical
symbols, I use a modifier key.  http://paste.lisp.org/display/123256

@ 2012-07-11 13:10 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2012-07-11 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Wed Jul 11 2012 06:10:29 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sergei
Organov <osv@javad.com> scripsit:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>
> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve

The standard way of doing this is with an input method. Type C-x ret C-\
latin-1-postfix. Now vowels followed by apostrophes will be accented:

Hére is véry short exámple of what I want to achíeve

If you don't like postfix, you could use latin-1-prefix input method.

Ed

> then with UNICODE it should be possible to put the accents on the tops
> of the next letters, right? If so, how do I do it in Emacs?
>
> -- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 13:40   ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-11 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
>> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>>
>> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve
>>
>> then with UNICODE it should be possible to put the accents on the tops
>> of the next letters, right? If so, how do I do it in Emacs?
>
> Strictly speaking, with emacs, you do it with C-x 8 ' e --> é
> Type C-x 8 C-h for the list.

OK, thanks, but as far as I can see this works with English, and not
with something else, like Russian? Then how do I type, e.g.:

Вот 'очень кор'откий прим'ер

in the same manner?

Alternatively, how about (accent-next-char) function, anybody?

-- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 13:58   ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:
> Die Wed Jul 11 2012 06:10:29 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sergei
> Organov <osv@javad.com> scripsit:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
>> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>>
>> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve
>
> The standard way of doing this is with an input method. Type C-x ret C-\
> latin-1-postfix. Now vowels followed by apostrophes will be accented:
>
> Hére is véry short exámple of what I want to achíeve
>
> If you don't like postfix, you could use latin-1-prefix input method.

Thanks, works like a charm for Latin! Unfortunately does not seem to
exist for Cyrillic (Emacs 23.2.1) :-(

-- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 14:42     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-07-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 11 2012, Sergei Organov wrote:

> "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:
>> Die Wed Jul 11 2012 06:10:29 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sergei
>> Organov <osv@javad.com> scripsit:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to type text with explicit accents, and so that accents are on
>>> top of letters. For example, if I type in ASCII:
>>>
>>> H'ere is v'ery short ex'ample of what I want to ach'ieve
>>
>> The standard way of doing this is with an input method. Type C-x ret C-\
>> latin-1-postfix. Now vowels followed by apostrophes will be accented:
>>
>> Hére is véry short exámple of what I want to achíeve
>>
>> If you don't like postfix, you could use latin-1-prefix input method.
>
> Thanks, works like a charm for Latin! Unfortunately does not seem to
> exist for Cyrillic (Emacs 23.2.1) :-(

I'm on emacs 24, but I'm pretty sure this existed before: use
`list-input-methods' and search for Cyrillic. I've got a bunch here.

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-07-08 on pellet

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 14:45     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2012-07-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> wrote:
>> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>>
> OK, thanks, but as far as I can see this works with English, and not
> with something else, like Russian? Then how do I type, e.g.:
>
> Вот 'очень кор'откий прим'ер
>
> in the same manner?

There is no such thing as precomposed accented Cyrillic letters in
Unicode (and those who fake it by using similarly shaped accented
Latin letters are just jerks with no respect for proper semantic). One
is supposed to insert a combining accent codepoint (U+0301) after the
character to be accented.

Now, your question boils down to "How do I enter a combining accent
[in Emacs]?" I personally prefer using an XKB layout that has the
combining accent somewhere on level 3, as it gives me consistent
experience across my whole desktop environment. E.g. the +typo
modification has it on Level3+AC01 (the key where latin A is usually
located).

You can also bind the following function to a key of your choice, but
it will only work in Emacs:

(defun insert-combining-acute (count)
  (interactive "p")
  (insert-char #x0301 count))

* RE: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 14:53     ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-07-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Organov, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sergei,

C-u C-\ (toggle-input-method) will let you select from a large number of input methods. If you want Russian, then respond with "russian-computer" or "cyrillic-yawerty" or "cyrillic-jis-russian" or "cyrillic-jcuken" or .... (Sorry, I don't know what the standard keyboard is.)

If you want to know what input methods are available, then type SPACE to see the list. For fun check out input method rfc1345". I don't know anyone who uses it, probably because it has more than anyone wants.

,Doug

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 14:54       ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Wed, Jul 11 2012, Sergei Organov wrote:
>
>> "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:
>>> Die Wed Jul 11 2012 06:10:29 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sergei
>>> Organov <osv@javad.com> scripsit:

>>> The standard way of doing this is with an input method. Type C-x ret C-\
>>> latin-1-postfix. Now vowels followed by apostrophes will be accented:
>>>
>>> Hére is véry short exámple of what I want to achíeve
>>>
>>> If you don't like postfix, you could use latin-1-prefix input method.
>>
>> Thanks, works like a charm for Latin! Unfortunately does not seem to
>> exist for Cyrillic (Emacs 23.2.1) :-(
>
> I'm on emacs 24, but I'm pretty sure this existed before: use
> `list-input-methods' and search for Cyrillic. I've got a bunch here.

Yes, but none with either '-postfix' or '-prefix'.

-- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-11 14:57       ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> wrote:
>>> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>>>
>> OK, thanks, but as far as I can see this works with English, and not
>> with something else, like Russian? Then how do I type, e.g.:
>>
>> Вот 'очень кор'откий прим'ер
>>
>> in the same manner?
>
> There is no such thing as precomposed accented Cyrillic letters in
> Unicode (and those who fake it by using similarly shaped accented
> Latin letters are just jerks with no respect for proper semantic). One
> is supposed to insert a combining accent codepoint (U+0301) after the
> character to be accented.

That's what I actually meant, I believe.

> Now, your question boils down to "How do I enter a combining accent
> [in Emacs]?" I personally prefer using an XKB layout that has the
> combining accent somewhere on level 3, as it gives me consistent
> experience across my whole desktop environment. E.g. the +typo
> modification has it on Level3+AC01 (the key where latin A is usually
> located).
>
> You can also bind the following function to a key of your choice, but
> it will only work in Emacs:
>
> (defun insert-combining-acute (count)
>   (interactive "p")
>   (insert-char #x0301 count))

Thanks, that looks like what I've asked for!

-- Sergei.

* Re: Typing accented text.
@ 2012-07-12 10:26       ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2012-07-12 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> wrote:
>>> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>>>
>> OK, thanks, but as far as I can see this works with English, and not
>> with something else, like Russian? Then how do I type, e.g.:
>>
>> Вот 'очень кор'откий прим'ер
>>
>> in the same manner?

[...]
> You can also bind the following function to a key of your choice, but
> it will only work in Emacs:
>
> (defun insert-combining-acute (count)
>   (interactive "p")
>   (insert-char #x0301 count))