all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Blank spacers problem
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:15:18 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

I have a Fortran program, which echoes a table of input parameters. The
emacs source looks like this:

  print '(" Nth, Nga                =", 2i10)', Nth, Nga
  print '(" mth, mGa, deriv windows =", 2i10)', mth, mGa
  print '(" dT, nT, Tmax            =", f10.3, i10, f10.2)', dT, nT, nT*dT
  print '(" Blob radius R0          =", f12.1)', R0
  print '(" S0                      =", f10.3)', S0
  print '(" P0                      =", f10.3)', P0
  print '(" mu                      =", f10.3)', mu
  print '(" KM                      =", f10.3)', KM

- on screen, that is. I work under Suse 12.1 and have what I think is
a pretty up to date version of emacs. The problem is that the equal
sign characters are not positioned as they appear on screen, but have
various positions, so the output is staggered instead of being lined up.

I assume this is some smart feature of emacs, but why does it do this?
Can I force emacs to show the text as it really is spaced?
--
Dieter Britz