all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "\"Jérôme M. Berger\"" <jeberger@free.fr>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Copy/paste issue.
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:24:57 +0200	[thread overview]

	Thank you for your reply.

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 31.3.2012 um 10:51 schrieb Jérôme M. Berger:
>
>> - The described behavior happens when selecting with the mouse,
>> selecting with the keyboard gives the expected behavior.
>
> You can try to bisect your init file: comment first have, if
> effect persists then it comes from other half; if effect is gone
> then it came from commented half. In case one leave first half
> commented and now additionally comment first half (a quarter of
> complete file) of uncommented second half and test again – until
> you've found the culprit line. If case two was true, then uncomment
> the commented first half of the init file and comment its second
> half plus comment the first half (a quarter of the whole file) of
> the now uncommented first half and test again – until the culprit
> line is found.

	I could, but my configuration files total over 5000 lines in 24
files, so I'd rather not if I can avoid it :) Especially since I
prefer the current behavior to the default one anyway, I just think
it could be even better :)

> You may find that there is no culprit – except your X server and
> maybe the window manager. When you select some text with the mouse
> the X server may serve as the copier and insert a copy of the
> selection into GNU Emacs' ring of copied or deleted items while the
> yank command has a previously taken private copy of the ring's last
> element in its memory. This one is inserted. After that the yank
> command finds the just inserted copy of the selection as the
> youngest element in the ring and will insert that one.

	I thought about that, especially since I have autocutsel configured
to duplicate the application's copied text to the X buffer (i.e if I
hit "M-w" in (X)Emacs or "C-c" in other applications, then I can
paste with the middle mouse button). However, it only copies in one
direction (i.e if I select with the mouse, this copies the text into
the X buffer but not to the application buffer). I have done the
following tests to confirm:
  - Stop autocutsel -> emacs' behavior is unchanged;
  - Test with emacs -Q -> selecting text with the mouse does not
    affect the copied text;
  - Test with other applications (namely XEmacs, kate and geany)
    -> They all behave the way I want.

	However, you gave me an idea and I did an extra test: going back to
my original scenario, if I select "bar" then click somewhere else
(to empty the selection) and then paste, the pasted text is "bar"
and not "foo". So, is there some setting in *Emacs* that could cause
text selected with the mouse to be automagically copied to the kill
ring and yank buffer?

		Jerome
--
mailto:jeberger@free.fr