all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TUTORIAL.cn File Bug
@ 2006-02-23  7:54 Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2006-02-23  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I'd sent this mail to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, but didn't
get response.  I'm not sure whether I'm inside that list.  ]

Hello,

Yesterday I checked out the Emacs Unicode 2 source.
After bootstrapping, I found nothing follows the line
"Important Help menu items: " in fancy splash screen.

I've checked the source code and found why.  Sun Yijiang
has edited the file etc/TUTORIAL.cn, but deleted the dot
"." after "Emacs 快速指南" incorrectly.  This causes
the
lambda function in variable 'fancy-splash-text' complains
about the failure of searching for a dot:

[in 'fancy-splash-text']
           (lambda ()
             (let* ((en "TUTORIAL")
                    (tut (or (get-language-info current-language-environment
                                                'tutorial)
                             en))
                    (title (with-temp-buffer
                             (insert-file-contents
                              (expand-file-name tut data-directory)
                              nil 0 256)
                             (search-forward ".")
                             (buffer-substring (point-min) (1- (point))))))

After adding a dot, the splash screen is displayed correctly.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

* Re: TUTORIAL.cn File Bug
@ 2006-02-24 23:29 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-02-24 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Yesterday I checked out the Emacs Unicode 2 source.
> After bootstrapping, I found nothing follows the line
> "Important Help menu items: " in fancy splash screen.
>
> I've checked the source code and found why.  Sun Yijiang
> has edited the file etc/TUTORIAL.cn, but deleted the dot
> "." after "Emacs 快速指南" incorrectly.
> This causes the
> lambda function in variable 'fancy-splash-text' complains
> about the failure of searching for a dot:

Using this dot in the first line is too error-prone for languages where this
is grammatically incorrect.  I think a better place to set the tutorial title
is language-info-alist or maybe even a special variable in the Local Variables
section of every TUTORIAL file.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: TUTORIAL.cn File Bug
@ 2006-02-24 23:34 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2006-02-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com> writes:

> [I'd sent this mail to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, but didn't
> get response.  I'm not sure whether I'm inside that list.  ]

i installed your fix on the trunk recently.  perhaps whoever
is maintaining the unicode branch will synch up shortly.

thi

* Re: TUTORIAL.cn File Bug
@ 2006-02-26  6:17   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-26  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Herbert Euler, emacs-devel

On 2/25/06, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:
> Using this dot in the first line is too error-prone for languages where this
> is grammatically incorrect.  I think a better place to set the tutorial title
> is language-info-alist or maybe even a special variable in the Local Variables
> section of every TUTORIAL file.

I agree but remembere there was a flame war about this point earlier!

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.