all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7064: eps files in lispintro directory are mostly invalid
@ 2010-09-18  9:49 Michael Gilson
From: Michael Gilson @ 2010-09-18  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7064

I tried to read cons-1.eps and Ghostscript couldn't preview or load the file.  The same happens with every other eps in the directory, except for drawers.eps, which loads fine.

Directory:emacs-22.3-src (changelog modified 9/5/2008 9:12AM)

In GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002)
 of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6002
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <escape> x <help-echo> r e p o r t - e
m <tab> <kp-enter>

Recent messages:
("D:\\emacs\\emacs-22.3-bin-i386\\emacs-22.3\\bin\\emacs.exe")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Michael Gilson [On the road to work each day                     Where the tardy drivers pray                     And the smog comes up like thunder                     Out of Burbank, 'cross the way.]

* bug#7064: eps files in lispintro directory are mostly invalid
@ 2010-09-19 19:08 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]   ` <BLU113-W2007692061D85A3C637713E77E0@phx.gbl>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gilson; +Cc: 7064

Michael Gilson wrote:

> I tried to read cons-1.eps and Ghostscript couldn't preview or load
> the file. The same happens with every other eps in the directory,
> except for drawers.eps, which loads fine.

The versions in the Emacs repository render fine for me on GNU/Linux,
using `gv 3.7.1', and it does not look like they have changed since
Emacs 22.

For all except drawers.eps, the bounding box seems not to be detected
correctly, leaving an A4 (for me) sized page with the image at the
top-left. Depending on your default GV zoom, you may be faced with an
apparently blank page at startup.

The difference seems to be caused by the missing "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0"
magic in the first line of every file except drawers.eps. If I add
this, the bounding box is correctly detected. Does it work for you?

There is a comment in all the files "Due to bugs in Transcript, the
'PS-Adobe-' stuff is omitted from line 1". I don't know what this
means. If it was just a bug with the program used to create these
images, I don't know why the author didn't just add that line by hand.

@ 2010-09-20 23:10     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-20 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gilson; +Cc: 7064

(Please keep 7064@debbugs in any replies.)

Michael Gilson wrote (on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 at 00:49 -0700):

> Adding the magic solves the problem in the cons-1.eps file when
> loaded with Ghostscript. I have been using GIMP to call Ghostscript,
> and that chain of programs works, so far as I have tested.
>
> I have some other eps viewers (EPS Viewer and IrfanView) that still
> can't read the eps file, even with the corrected magic. They seem to
> think that it is zero by zero size.

Sorry, don't know what the problem there might be. (Those programs
seem to be specific to MS Windows and will not run under Wine.)

* bug#7064: eps files in lispintro directory are mostly invalid
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-14 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 7064, Michael Gilson

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Sorry, don't know what the problem there might be. (Those programs
> seem to be specific to MS Windows and will not run under Wine.)

More information was requested 42 weeks ago, and doesn't seem to be
forthcoming.

Besides, it looks like a non-Emacs problem, so I'm closing this report.