all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs version number (trunk build) problem
@ 2008-03-21  8:49 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2008-03-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I found a weird problem with my Emacs build (from trunk).
I grabbed fresh Emacs source with cvs, and the first build got number
23.0.60.2, and several days later I built again after "cvs update", and
the version number became 23.0.60.4.

Is this deliberate or is there a bug?

--
The enemies of Freedom do not argue; they shout and they shoot.

* Re: Emacs version number (trunk build) problem
@ 2008-03-21  9:43 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-03-21  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> I found a weird problem with my Emacs build (from trunk).
> I grabbed fresh Emacs source with cvs, and the first build got number
> 23.0.60.2, and several days later I built again after "cvs update", and
> the version number became 23.0.60.4.
>
> Is this deliberate or is there a bug?

This is how the Emacs buildsystem works since more than 14 years.  The
build number is incremented whenever Emacs is dumped, based on which
executable files exit in the build directory.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs version number (trunk build) problem
@ 2008-03-21 10:41   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2008-03-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

My memory may be corrupted, but if not, I think build number starts from 1
and increases by 1, and what I found with the latest source is that

the 1st build got number 23.0.60.2
&
the 2nd build 23.0.60.4

that is what I think weird.

MFG,

@ 2008-03-21 11:07     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-03-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

"CHENG Gao" <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> My memory may be corrupted, but if not, I think build number starts from 1
> and increases by 1, and what I found with the latest source is that
>
> the 1st build got number 23.0.60.2
> &
> the 2nd build 23.0.60.4
>
> that is what I think weird.

It depends on which executable files exist in the build directory.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs version number (trunk build) problem
@ 2008-03-24 19:31       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-03-24 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel, CHENG Gao

Andreas Schwab wrote:

> "CHENG Gao" <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My memory may be corrupted, but if not, I think build number starts from 1
>> and increases by 1, and what I found with the latest source is that
>>
>> the 1st build got number 23.0.60.2
>> &
>> the 2nd build 23.0.60.4
>>
>> that is what I think weird.
>
> It depends on which executable files exist in the build directory.

I believe there is a bug:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg00311.html