all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Different build directory
@ 2007-03-25  1:42 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-03-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is it possible to build Emacs in a directory other than the source directory?

If I try the following:

If source is in ~/emacs

cd ~/emacs
make distclean

mkdir ~/emacs-build
cd ~/emacs-build
~/emacs/configure
make bootstrap

I get:

Generating autoloads for progmodes/idlw-shell.el...done
IO error reading /home/nickrob/emacs1/lisp/progmodes/idlwave.el: Input/output error

If I have an emacs executable in emacs/src, I can do

cd ~/emacs-build
~/emacs/configure
make

but the info files are made in the source directory structure, and the
compiled lisp files are there too.

I'm thinking that being able to separate source and generated files will make
things like backing up easier.

* Re: Different build directory
@ 2007-03-25  9:38 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-03-25  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> Is it possible to build Emacs in a directory other than the source directory?

Sure, I do this all the time.  Only "make dist" is still broken.

> Generating autoloads for progmodes/idlw-shell.el...done
> IO error reading /home/nickrob/emacs1/lisp/progmodes/idlwave.el: Input/output error

Looks like you have a hardware problem.

Andreas.