all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Redisplay problems...
@ 2002-03-04 16:18 Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-03-04 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gerd Moellmann

I have again seen redisplay problem today. It happened in Gnus'
mode-line. I have experienced similar problems before just after C-h
k something or after C-h f something (ie. when new window appeared). This
time it happened just after SPC in the Gnus' summary buffer (Article buffer
appeared). It seems to me that this is common thing. The problem is in the
mode-line. The character at the some column as the cursor is white, but it
shouldn't.  My Emacs is current CVS:

"GNU Emacs 21.2.50.1 (i386-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-03-04 on SnowWhite"

Do you see something similar?

[-- Attachment #2: snapshot.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 33418 bytes --]

Pavel Janík

Linux hackers are funny people: They count the time in patchlevels.
                  -- Martin Josefsson in linux-kernel

* Re: Redisplay problems...
@ 2002-03-04 20:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, gerd

> From: Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
> Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:18:07 +0100
>
> I have again seen redisplay problem today. It happened in Gnus'
> mode-line. I have experienced similar problems before just after C-h
> k something or after C-h f something (ie. when new window appeared). This
> time it happened just after SPC in the Gnus' summary buffer (Article buffer
> appeared).

Are you perhaps using the (as yet to be fixed) x-autoselect-window
feature?  If so, is it possible that the problems go away if
x-autoselect-window is turned off?

* Re: Redisplay problems...
@ 2002-03-04 20:49   ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-03-04 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, gerd

   From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
   Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:26:12 +0200

   > > I have again seen redisplay problem today. It happened in Gnus'
   > > mode-line. I have experienced similar problems before just after C-h
   > > k something or after C-h f something (ie. when new window appeared). This
   > > time it happened just after SPC in the Gnus' summary buffer (Article buffer
   > > appeared).
   >
   > Are you perhaps using the (as yet to be fixed) x-autoselect-window
   > feature?  If so, is it possible that the problems go away if
   > x-autoselect-window is turned off?

No, the same happened before inventing that variable. And I do not use it
right now.
--
Pavel Janík

... feels much better than any (2.4?) kernel before. I do not know what
happend/changed exactly, but this is the first kernel which does not swap
out exact this application I will need next.
                  -- Adrian Schroeter about 2.4.10-pre14aa

* Re: Redisplay problems...
@ 2002-03-04 21:32 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-03-04 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gerd Moellmann

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

|> Hi,
|>
|> I have again seen redisplay problem today. It happened in Gnus'
|> mode-line. I have experienced similar problems before just after C-h
|> k something or after C-h f something (ie. when new window appeared). This
|> time it happened just after SPC in the Gnus' summary buffer (Article buffer
|> appeared). It seems to me that this is common thing. The problem is in the
|> mode-line. The character at the some column as the cursor is white, but it
|> shouldn't.  My Emacs is current CVS:
|>
|> "GNU Emacs 21.2.50.1 (i386-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
|>  of 2002-03-04 on SnowWhite"
|>
|> Do you see something similar?

I do see similar artefacts.  My Emacs is only a wee bit older:

"GNU Emacs 21.2.50.1 (ia64-suse-linux, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-03-02 on sykes"

Andreas.

SuSE GmbH, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg