all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-11 20:26 Tom Wurgler
From: Tom Wurgler @ 2002-04-11 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: t901353

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00, Motif Version 2.1.0)
 of 2002-03-18 on rds294
configured using `configure  --cache-file=/dev/null --host=hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00 --prefix=/home/rdstt1/t901353/local --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-png'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

One of the users here has a file thusly:

  -rw-rw-r--   1 tomw    bob   2399830016 Apr 11 11:41 sample.file

Which GNU ls does list in a dired properly, albeit the filenames are not
aligned etc.

But he has a emacs-lisp defun that prompts him for various input, one of
which is the above "sample.file" filename.  The file completion does not find
the file.  He is not trying to read the file itself, just get the filename and
then he runs a shell job with the inputs gained from his elisp...

The line below demostates the problem:

(setq tommy (read-file-name "Enter the name: "))

You can start typing "sa" at the prompt, then hit "tab" and all files that start
with "sa" are displayed except the "sample.file".  Why doesn't this file show
up?

Thanks!

tom

Tom Wurgler                             The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Principal Engineer                      Tire-Vehicle Engineering Technology
Phone:         330-796-1656             Technical Center D/460G
Fax:           330-796-3292             P.O.Box 3531
internet mail: twurgler@goodyear.com    Akron, Ohio 44309-3531

* Re: large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-12  9:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-04-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, t901353

> From: Tom Wurgler <twurgler@goodyear.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
>
> One of the users here has a file thusly:
>
>   -rw-rw-r--   1 tomw    bob   2399830016 Apr 11 11:41 sample.file
>
> Which GNU ls does list in a dired properly, albeit the filenames are not
> aligned etc.
>
> But he has a emacs-lisp defun that prompts him for various input, one of
> which is the above "sample.file" filename.  The file completion does not find
> the file.  He is not trying to read the file itself, just get the filename and
> then he runs a shell job with the inputs gained from his elisp...
>
> The line below demostates the problem:
>
> (setq tommy (read-file-name "Enter the name: "))
>
> You can start typing "sa" at the prompt, then hit "tab" and all files that start
> with "sa" are displayed except the "sample.file".  Why doesn't this file show
> up?

A stab in the dark: perhaps this happens because the standard C
library used to link Emacs has a version of the `stat' function which
doesn't support large files?  (2399830016 is more than 2GBytes.)  If
`stat' fails for that file, Emacs completion routines will behave as
if the file didn't exist, I think.

If my guess is true, `ls' could have been built with large file
support enabled.

* Re: large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-12 11:50 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-04-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, t901353

Tom Wurgler <twurgler@goodyear.com> writes:

|> One of the users here has a file thusly:
|>
|>   -rw-rw-r--   1 tomw    bob   2399830016 Apr 11 11:41 sample.file

2399830016 > 2G

|> Which GNU ls does list in a dired properly, albeit the filenames are not
|> aligned etc.
|>
|> But he has a emacs-lisp defun that prompts him for various input, one of
|> which is the above "sample.file" filename.  The file completion does not find
|> the file.  He is not trying to read the file itself, just get the filename and
|> then he runs a shell job with the inputs gained from his elisp...

This is because Emacs is not compiled with LFS support, so stat(2) fails
on that file (with ERANGE), and for Emacs it looks like the file does not
exist.  To fix that, Emacs needs to use stat64 instead.

Andreas.

SuSE GmbH, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-13 19:06   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Would you like to implement use of stat64
when it is defined?

* Re: large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-13 23:51     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2002-04-13 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:06:44 -0600 (MDT)
>
> Would you like to implement use of stat64 when it is defined?

Why not just have the user compile Emacs with large-file support
enabled?  That should fix the problem.  I don't know of any host where
stat64 works and large-file support does not.

* Re: large files not found with `read-file-name'
@ 2002-04-14  0:25     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-04-14  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

|> Would you like to implement use of stat64
|> when it is defined?

I just noticed that the support for LFS is actually already present.  So
if it fails to find the file then it must be something different.