all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* minibuffer-message segfault
@ 2003-01-24 17:40 Thomas R. Shannon
       [not found] ` <mailman.940.1043436017.21513.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thomas R. Shannon @ 2003-01-24 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-08-28 on astest
configured using `configure  --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-gcc --with-pop --with-sound'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

1. Start an xterm (rxvt).
2. Type "emacs" at the command prompt to start Emacs.
3. Type the following in the *scratch* buffer:

	(minibuffer-message nil)

4. Evaluate the command with M-x eval-region

5. Emacs fails (i.e. the program stops running and Emacs disappears
   from the display).  The following error message appears in the
   terminal followed by the new command prompt:

   Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault

Emacs should handle this error without segfaulting.

My system is a standard Red Hat 8.0 install with no relevant
modifications to emacs.  The following command under the same
circumstances clears the minibuffer with no errors:

     (minibuffer-message "")

Good luck,
Tom Shannon

Quote of the Day for Friday, January 24, 2003
is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
professionals. We cause accidents.
            -- Nathaniel Borenstein

* Re: minibuffer-message segfault
@ 2003-01-24 19:18 ` Andreas Schwab
       [not found] ` <mailman.940.1043436017.21513.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-01-24 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gnu-emacs-bug

tshannon@rush.edu (Thomas R. Shannon) writes:

|> 1. Start an xterm (rxvt).
|> 2. Type "emacs" at the command prompt to start Emacs.
|> 3. Type the following in the *scratch* buffer:
|>
|> 	(minibuffer-message nil)
|>
|> 4. Evaluate the command with M-x eval-region
|>
|> 5. Emacs fails (i.e. the program stops running and Emacs disappears
|>    from the display).  The following error message appears in the
|>    terminal followed by the new command prompt:
|>
|>    Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault
|>
|> Emacs should handle this error without segfaulting.

Thanks for the report, this will be fixed in the next release.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

@ 2003-01-25  0:06   ` Thomas R. Shannon
From: Thomas R. Shannon @ 2003-01-25  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> tshannon@rush.edu (Thomas R. Shannon) writes:
>
> |> 1. Start an xterm (rxvt).
> |> 2. Type "emacs" at the command prompt to start Emacs.
> |> 3. Type the following in the *scratch* buffer:
> |>
> |> 	(minibuffer-message nil)
> |>
> |> 4. Evaluate the command with M-x eval-region
> |>
> |> 5. Emacs fails (i.e. the program stops running and Emacs disappears
> |>    from the display).  The following error message appears in the
> |>    terminal followed by the new command prompt:
> |>
> |>    Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault
> |>
> |> Emacs should handle this error without segfaulting.
>
> Thanks for the report, this will be fixed in the next release.

Glad it helped.

Tom S.
Quote of the Day for Friday, January 24, 2003