all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Elusive buffer(s).
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:31:41 +0400	[thread overview]

Hello,

I see that not all the displayed buffers are there in the `buffer-list'
frame parameter.

How to reproduce:

$ emacs -Q

M-x compile<ENTER> C-a C-k<ENTER>

... *compilation* window should appear below the *scratch* window.

(frame-parameter nil 'buffer-list) C-j
(#<buffer *scratch*> #<buffer  *Minibuf-1*>)

Where is *compilation* that I do see on the screen? Is it bug or
feature?

Reading the manual only adds to my confusion. On one hand:

File: elisp,  Node: Buffer Parameters:

`buffer-list'
     A list of buffers that have been selected in this frame, ordered
     most-recently-selected first.

Suggests that only ever _selected_ buffers should appear in the list
(that matches observed behavior), but on the other hand:

File: elisp,  Node: The Buffer List:

   In addition to the fundamental buffer list just described, Emacs
maintains a local buffer list for each frame, in which the buffers that
have been displayed (or had their windows selected) in that frame come
first.

Seems to suggest that displayed buffers should also be there in the
frame-local buffer list?

(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian"

BTW, the question relates to the issue I've reported 2 years ago here:

but in that case *cvs* buffer was also current buffer in the original
frame, so that report is definitely a bug that I'm still able to
reproduce.

--
Sergei