all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Peter Tury" <peter.tury@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: automatic time-stamp
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 06:46:39 GMT	[thread overview]

"Jeffrey L. Greer" <jlgreer1@excite.com> wrote in message
news:w6Ude.26842$r81.5612@trnddc02...
> I am trying to configure automatic time-stamp for emacs 21 in a Debian
> Sarge system. I have the following .emacs file in my home directory. I
> have read and re-read what seems to be the relevant pages in the hard
> copy of Gnu Emacs Manual. Time stamp will only work manually.
>
> Suggestions please? Thank you, Jeff Greer
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(add-hook (quote write-file-hooks) t)
>  '(case-fold-search t)
>  '(column-number-mode t)
>  '(current-language-environment "English")
>  '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>  '(time-stamp-active t))

Hi,

I don't know whether this will help you, but the on-line help (C-h a
time-stamp) writes this:

time-stamp is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `time-stamp'.
[Arg list not available until function definition is loaded.]

Update the time stamp string(s) in the buffer.
A template in a file can be automatically updated with a new time stamp
every time you save the file.  Add this line to your .emacs file:
    (add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'time-stamp)
Normally the template must appear in the first 8 lines of a file and
look like one of the following:
      Time-stamp: <>
      Time-stamp: " "
The time stamp is written between the brackets or quotes:
      Time-stamp: <1998-02-18 10:20:51 gildea>
The time stamp is updated only if the variable `time-stamp-active' is
non-nil.
The format of the time stamp is set by the variable `time-stamp-format'.
The variables `time-stamp-line-limit', `time-stamp-start', `time-stamp-end',
`time-stamp-count', and `time-stamp-inserts-lines' control finding the
template.

So I think (add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'time-stamp) should be added to your
.emacs (+ the appropriate templates to your files?).

Br,