all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
@ 2011-11-27 17:05 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-27 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently moved from GNU Emacs 23.3.1 to GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (both on
debian). Mostly I'm happy, but a change in behavior of isearch is
annoying me, and I'd appreciate help fixing it in my configuration.

Consider the following (cited) fragment of a log buffer:

> M 10 Oct 11:
>
> build 08:35-12:07
> run 13:45-16:15
> debug 17:00-17:39
> doc, commit 18:50-19:39

> T 11 Oct 11:

Put point at the beginning of the (uncited) fragment (i.e., remove the
citing, and put cursor atop the first '-'). In emacs 23 (and for as
long as I can remember before that), if I then did

C-s C-y C-s

I would get a search for the entire first line (of '-'): point would be
at the end of the second separator, which would be found/highlighted--
this I expect, know (certainly my fingers know this :-), and prefer.
But in emacs 24,

C-s C-y C-s

causes a (usually failing) search for whatever was last killed; instead,
to get the desired behavior, I must do

C-s M-s C-e C-s

Is there an easy way to make my init.el (aka .emacs) tell emacs 24
that I want the old semantics for this usecase? Alternatively, how
best/easiest to restore the old behavior?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* RE: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
@ 2011-11-27 17:35 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-11-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, 'Tom Roche'

> In emacs 23 ... if I then did C-s C-y C-s
> I would get a search for the entire first line...  But in
> emacs 24, C-s C-y C-s ... search for whatever was last killed;
> instead, to get the desired behavior, I must do C-s M-s C-e C-s
> how best/easiest to restore the old behavior?

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-y") 'isearch-yank-line)

How to find that out easily on your own?  Look in the isearch.el code.  Or ask
Emacs itself, like this:

1. Load this library:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el

2. C-h M-k isearch-mode-map

Do that in Emacs 23, and you see that `C-y' is bound to `isearch-yank-line'.

Do it in Emacs 24, and you see that `C-y' is bound to `isearch-yank-kill' (and
`isearch-yank-line' is bound to `M-s C-e', as you noticed).

* Re: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
@ 2011-11-27 18:52 ` Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-27 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM
>> In emacs 23 (and for as long as I can remember before that), if I
>> then did

>> C-s C-y C-s

>> I would get a search for the entire first line (of '-'): point
>> would be at the end of the second separator, which would be
>> found/highlighted--this I expect, know (certainly my fingers know
>> this :-), and prefer. But in emacs 24,

>> C-s C-y C-s

>> causes a (usually failing) search for whatever was last killed;
>> instead, to get the desired behavior, I must do

>> C-s M-s C-e C-s

>> Is there an easy way to make my init.el (aka .emacs) tell emacs 24
>> that I want the old semantics

Drew Adams Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:35:30 -0800
> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-y") 'isearch-yank-line)

> How to find that out easily on your own? Look in the isearch.el

Right, but then I need to find that. Much more conveniently:

> ask Emacs itself, like this:

> 1. Load this library:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el

> 2. C-h M-k isearch-mode-map

> Do that in Emacs 23, and you see that `C-y' is bound to
> `isearch-yank-line'.

> Do it in Emacs 24, and you see that `C-y' is bound to
> `isearch-yank-kill' (and `isearch-yank-line' is bound to `M-s C-e',

Yes indeed! help-fns+.el works as advertised, just

0 Download help-fns+.el to a directory in your load-path.

1 I byte-compile-file'd it in emacs 23, per emacs-version
  interoperability instructions in file.

2 Add

(load "help-fns+")

  to your init.el or helper file.

3 Restart emacs.

thanks, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
@ 2011-12-01  4:21 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-12-01  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/27/11 10:05 AM, Tom Roche wrote:

> I recently moved from GNU Emacs 23.3.1 to GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (both on
> debian). Mostly I'm happy, but a change in behavior of isearch is
> annoying me, and I'd appreciate help fixing it in my configuration.

That ought to be documented in NEWS (C-h n).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
@ 2011-12-02 12:37   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-12-02 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/27/11 10:05 AM, Tom Roche wrote:
>>
>> I recently moved from GNU Emacs 23.3.1 to GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (both on
>> debian). Mostly I'm happy, but a change in behavior of isearch is
>> annoying me, and I'd appreciate help fixing it in my configuration.

Did you install 24 from a debian pkg or build from sources yourself?
If from debian pkg, what did you need in /etc/apt/sources.list to find
a pkg for emacs-24?