all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keeping changed face
@ 2002-10-11  0:56 mike hardy
From: mike hardy @ 2002-10-11  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting too many hits and can't refine the search to see if this has
been asked: When using the "Text Properties" pop-up I can alter the look
of a pre-selected region of text using "Face..." - how do I save the text
file with the changes I made so that the next time I load it the face
changes are still there?  I'm not talking about applying face changes to
the entire buffer - just a single line (for instance, like making that one
line bold).  It doesn't seem like it would be possible (bummer) on a text
file but I thought someone here would know for sure.

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------
mhardy_mail@NO_SPAM@yahoo.com

  Help Wanted: Psychic.  You know where to apply.

* RE: keeping changed face
@ 2002-10-11 15:26 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-10-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike,

Take a look at the 'Saving Text Properties in Files' section in the 'GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual', (if it is not installed on your system it can be found on line at: http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-21-2.8/html_mono/elisp.html)

I have never used this feature so I cannot answer any questions about it.

Hope that this helps.
-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Office: 2166                Phone: 8945
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.1034350052.1577.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-11 20:48 ` mike hardy
From: mike hardy @ 2002-10-11 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nostradamus foretold that on Fri Oct 11 2002, Bingham, Jay would write:

> Mike,
>
> Take a look at the 'Saving Text Properties in Files' section in the 'GNU
> Emacs Lisp Reference Manual', (if it is not installed on your system it
> can be found on line at:
> http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-21-2.8/html_mono/elisp.html)
>
> I have never used this feature so I cannot answer any questions about it.
>
> Hope that this helps.

Thx.  I took a quick look and it appears they're components ppl can make
use of in a larger LISP program (which is something I can't do).  But I'll
try searching DN with the names and maybe I'll get lucky...

Mike

@ 2002-10-12 16:41 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

mike hardy <no_sp@m.for_me.org> writes:

> When using the "Text Properties" pop-up I can alter the look of a
> pre-selected region of text using "Face..." - how do I save the text
> file with the changes I made so that the next time I load it the face
> changes are still there?

In general, you can't save the changes.

Emacs does have one mode where the faces *are* saved: enriched mode.  Do
`M-x enriched-mode' to turn it on.  Of course, the file will no longer
be saved as plain text, so you might not want this if the file has to be
used for other purposes.

* Re: keeping changed face
@ 2002-10-13  1:16   ` mike hardy
From: mike hardy @ 2002-10-13  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nostradamus foretold that on Sat Oct 12 2002, Jesper Harder would write:

> mike hardy <no_sp@m.for_me.org> writes:
>
> > When using the "Text Properties" pop-up I can alter the look of a
> > pre-selected region of text using "Face..." - how do I save the text
> > file with the changes I made so that the next time I load it the face
> > changes are still there?
>
> In general, you can't save the changes.
>
> Emacs does have one mode where the faces *are* saved: enriched mode.  Do
> `M-x enriched-mode' to turn it on.  Of course, the file will no longer
> be saved as plain text, so you might not want this if the file has to be
> used for other purposes.

Great (works just like I wanted)!  Most of the text files I want to alter
are only loaded into Emacs anyway so this is perfect.  Thx...

Mike
--