all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs w32 as external editor in Thunderbird
@ 2010-02-08 17:25 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.870.1265658295.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have (server-start) in my .emacs and this allows me to click on files
in Windows Explorer with associated extensions and have them all open in
a unique instance of Emacs. When I click on Emacs icon or do Ctl-E in
Tbird, not only is a new instance of Emacs opened, but somehow an
implicit (server-mode -1) seems to be called, or something that requires
me to issue M-x server-start from within the original session in order
to have clicked on files open in that original emacs instance.
Can any of you tell me what is going on? I have ALTERNATE_EDITOR
environment variable set to C:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe and
emacsclientw.exe somewhere appropriate in the registry (win2000); at
least server functionality works if I don't try to call it through
Thunderbird.

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: Emacs w32 as external editor in Thunderbird
@ 2010-02-08 19:45 ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found] ` <mailman.870.1265658295.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-02-08 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday 08 February 2010 09:25 AM, B. T. Raven wrote:
> Can any of you tell me what is going on? I have ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> environment variable set to C:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe and
> emacsclientw.exe somewhere appropriate in the registry (win2000); at
> least server functionality works if I don't try to call it through
> Thunderbird.

What do you use to call emacs from Thunderbird? I use
`emacsclient -ca=""'. However I am on GNU/Linux, so things
might be different.

--
Suvayu

@ 2010-02-09  1:53   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-09  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 09:25 AM, B. T. Raven wrote:
>> Can any of you tell me what is going on? I have ALTERNATE_EDITOR
>> environment variable set to C:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe and
>> emacsclientw.exe somewhere appropriate in the registry (win2000); at
>> least server functionality works if I don't try to call it through
>> Thunderbird.
>
> What do you use to call emacs from Thunderbird? I use
> `emacsclient -ca=""'. However I am on GNU/Linux, so things
> might be different.
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ed

In about:config under exteditor.default.editor I have
C:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"
but that doesn't help. Neither does making a file association between
Emacs and .eml extension.
Apparently, calling runemacs.exe or emacs.exe when you should be calling
ALTERNATE_EDITOR or emacsclientw.exe causes the server to stop in the
initial Emacs instance and another Emacs process to be started, forked,
or whatever it's called.

Thanks anyway. I would try your emacsclientw -ca="" but I don't think -c
is a switch on w32 build.