all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-17  9:38 Morten Leander Petersen
From: Morten Leander Petersen @ 2011-10-17  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
(yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
to disable transient mark mode?

Regards,
--
/Morten

* Re: Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-17 10:34 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-17 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Leander Petersen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Morten Leander Petersen <mortenlp2@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
> (yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
> region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
> to disable transient mark mode?

M-x customize-face RET region RET

Make sure that the highlighting is "subdued" so that it is "barely"
visible.

> Regards,

* Re: Transient mark mode
       [not found] <mailman.419.1318844302.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-10-17 13:21 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2011-10-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Morten Leander Petersen <mortenlp2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.

> I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
> (yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
> region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
> to disable transient mark mode?

No there is not, apart from nullifying the highlighting face, like
Jambunathan said.

Transient Mark Mode is a conflation of three disparate behaviours:
1/- Highlighting the region.
2/- Sort of "narrowing" to the region for certain commands.
3/- Disabling the mark and region's functionality except when it's
  enabled.

3 is what the minor mode is named after, yet 3's behaviour is usually
nullified by setting the option `mark-active-even-if-inactive'.  That is,
setting that option makes the region always usable.  So naming 1 and 2
"transient-mark-mode" is pretty silly, now.

1 and 2 can not be separated from eachother.  This is bad design, as there
are people who want 2 without 1.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-17 14:55   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> M-x customize-face RET region RET
>
> Make sure that the highlighting is "subdued" so that it is "barely"
> visible.

Where does one access a `subdued' property?

* Re: Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-17 16:00 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-10-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-10-17 11:38, Morten Leander Petersen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
> (yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
> region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
> to disable transient mark mode?

Just remove the `background' property from the `region' face using
customize:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  '(region ((t nil))))

* Re: Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-17 18:08   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> On 2011-10-17 11:38, Morten Leander Petersen wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
>> (yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
>> region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
>> to disable transient mark mode?
>>

> Just remove the `background' property from the `region' face using
> customize:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(region ((t nil))))

Well that removes it altogether.  I took Jambunathan's term `barely'
to mean there was still something visible.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

* Re: Transient mark mode
@ 2011-10-18  8:16   ` Morten Leander Petersen
From: Morten Leander Petersen @ 2011-10-18  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> On 2011-10-17 11:38, Morten Leander Petersen wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I use a couple of modes which require transient mark mode to be enabled
>> (yasnippet for one). However, I don't like the highlighting of the
>> region. So is there a way to get rid of this highlighting without having
>> to disable transient mark mode?
>>

> Just remove the `background' property from the `region' face using
> customize:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(region ((t nil))))

For some reason this did not work for me. However if I did it manually
it worked, i.e. I put the following in my .emacs

(set-face-foreground 'region nil)
(set-face-background 'region nil)

and that did the trick.

Thank you for the help.