all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* window manager hints
@ 2003-09-12 20:08 Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2003-09-12 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope this is the right place to pose this question...

I'm working with the folks implementing/porting XFree86 to Windows via
Cygwin.  They've implemented a means of using Windows as the "window
manager," but Emacs doesn't minimize properly with a C-z.  Apparently
the maintainer is not catching a window manager hint or something.  Can
someone point me in the right direction as to how he/we might catch that
C-z and have <Windows-as-WM> minimize the Emacs window.

Thanks!
--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: window manager hints
@ 2003-09-12 21:56 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2003-09-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason Dufair <jase@dufair.org> writes:

> I'm working with the folks implementing/porting XFree86 to Windows via
> Cygwin.  They've implemented a means of using Windows as the "window
> manager," but Emacs doesn't minimize properly with a C-z.  Apparently
> the maintainer is not catching a window manager hint or something.  Can
> someone point me in the right direction as to how he/we might catch that
> C-z and have <Windows-as-WM> minimize the Emacs window.

Check the function `x_iconify_frame' in xterm.c in the Emacs sources to
see what it does.  Basically, what it boils down to is Emacs running
`XIconifyWindow' which sends a `ClientMessage' with `IconicState' to X.
See if the windowmanager listens to the `WM_CHANGE_STATE' hint properly.

* Re: window manager hints
@ 2003-09-12 22:29   ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2003-09-12 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok.  Will do.  Thanks.

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

> Jason Dufair <jase@dufair.org> writes:
>
>> I'm working with the folks implementing/porting XFree86 to Windows via
>> Cygwin.  They've implemented a means of using Windows as the "window
>> manager," but Emacs doesn't minimize properly with a C-z.  Apparently
>> the maintainer is not catching a window manager hint or something.  Can
>> someone point me in the right direction as to how he/we might catch that
>> C-z and have <Windows-as-WM> minimize the Emacs window.
>
> Check the function `x_iconify_frame' in xterm.c in the Emacs sources to
> see what it does.  Basically, what it boils down to is Emacs running
> `XIconifyWindow' which sends a `ClientMessage' with `IconicState' to X.
> See if the windowmanager listens to the `WM_CHANGE_STATE' hint properly.

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
-- Terry Pratchett