all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-07-26  6:42 Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-26  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  In emacs, I have a lot of things that load up (cscopes, cedet, ecb).
Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main server, there's a
bit of latency for emacs to start up.

Is there an easy way to say 'emacs simple filename.cpp' and if simple is
present, it skips over some number of packages?  Doing emacs filename.cpp,
however, would load all packages.

Thanks!
Jai

* Re: optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-07-26  6:51 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi,
>   In emacs, I have a lot of things that load up (cscopes, cedet,
> ecb).  Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main
> server, there's a bit of latency for emacs to start up.

Never do a (require 'package) - either for uncompiled or compiled
packages.

Always compile the installed packages - autoloads ensures that the
packages are loaded on demand.

There lots of other things that you could do but the above two steps
will ensure visible improvements.

@ 2011-07-26  6:52 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.07.2011 08:42, schrieb Jai Dayal:
> Hi,
>    In emacs, I have a lot of things that load up (cscopes, cedet, ecb).
> Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main server, there's a
> bit of latency for emacs to start up.
>
> Is there an easy way to say 'emacs simple filename.cpp' and if simple is
> present, it skips over some number of packages?  Doing emacs filename.cpp,
> however, would load all packages.
>
> Thanks!
> Jai

Hi,

what about write into your init-file

(if CONDITION
    load this
   load that)

(file-readable-p) might a suitable condition IIUC

Andreas

* Re: optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-07-26  6:56   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Hi,
>>   In emacs, I have a lot of things that load up (cscopes, cedet,
>> ecb).  Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main
>> server, there's a bit of latency for emacs to start up.
>
> Never do a (require 'package) - either for uncompiled or compiled
> packages.
>
> Always compile the installed packages - autoloads ensures that the
> packages are loaded on demand.

You need to require the autoload file though.

> There lots of other things that you could do but the above two steps
> will ensure visible improvements.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-07-26  8:33 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-07-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.07.2011 um 08:42 schrieb Jai Dayal:

> Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main server, there's a
> bit of latency for emacs to start up.

Create a SIMPLE (or basic) init file and launch GNU Emacs as 'emacs -l SIMPLE.el'. A shell alias can help to reduce typing.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Basic, n.:
	A programming language. Related to certain social diseases in that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

* Re: optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-07-26 12:13   ` Perry Smith
       [not found]     ` <CAMJ-YiSmDHLRpLV+bLrMuP3kdx8zQnoSsv_RLTz2DFuDc4xAww@mail.gmail.com>
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-07-26 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 26, 2011, at 3:33 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 26.07.2011 um 08:42 schrieb Jai Dayal:
>
>> Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main server, there's a
>> bit of latency for emacs to start up.
>
> Create a SIMPLE (or basic) init file and launch GNU Emacs as 'emacs -l SIMPLE.el'. A shell alias can help to reduce typing.

My suggestion is to leave a "server" emacs running and then just attach to it when you ssh over.  See emacsclient for more details (or ask this list).

> Basic, n.:
> 	A programming language. Related to certain social diseases in that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

Java, n.:
  The new Basic

* Fwd: optional packages on startup?
       [not found]       ` <CAMJ-YiR7=i+HX1Pr+1x7p4rzMOPnUSBuo9cqxVYfFZSsqtrtmg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-07-29 16:46         ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2011-07-29 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Basically, it's still loading CEDET.  Any idea why?

From: Perry Smith @ 2011-07-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I don't use CEDET.  If you do connect more than once to the same emacs server and it continues to pull in cedet, I would look at your mode hooks first to see what they are doing.  Usually it should use "require /  provide" rather than "load".

Hopefully a more cedet savvy person will reply too.

Good luck,
pedz

@ 2011-07-29 20:47           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-07-29 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.07.2011 um 18:46 schrieb Jai Dayal:

> Basically, it's still loading CEDET.  Any idea why?

Maybe the site-run-file dictates loading of CEDET...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Progress (n.): Process through which USENET evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.

* Re: optional packages on startup?
@ 2011-08-05  8:10   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-08-05  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

26.07.2011 9:51, Jambunathan K пишет:

>> Hi,
>>    In emacs, I have a lot of things that load up (cscopes, cedet,
>> ecb).  Since I have to ssh into a proxy, and then into the main
>> server, there's a bit of latency for emacs to start up.
>
> Never do a (require 'package) - either for uncompiled or compiled
> packages.

I use '(desktop-save-mode 1)', so even I do not put 'require' it is
too long wait when Emacs loading as I have many files opened with
several different file types (for all of them loaded appropriated
major mode)...

Some times I use code like this:

(eval-after-load 'grep
   '(progn
      (add-to-list 'grep-find-ignored-directories "build" t)
      (add-to-list 'grep-find-ignored-directories "dist" t)
      (add-to-list 'grep-find-ignored-directories "lib" t)

      (when (boundp 'grep-find-ignored-files)
        (add-to-list 'grep-find-ignored-files "*TAGS")
        (add-to-list 'grep-find-ignored-files "GPATH")
        )
      ))

to prevent from loading grep.el at sturtup.