all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Initial Frame
@ 2002-07-09 18:35 Eddie Bush
       [not found] ` <4465zo20n1.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>
From: Eddie Bush @ 2002-07-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I do away with this?  I don't like the "splash-screen".  If
you're not willing to tell me how to get rid of it, could you at least
tell me what I am looking for?  This one has me completely thrown off ...

Thanks!

Eddie

* Re: Initial Frame
@ 2002-07-09 18:46 ` Marco Baringer
       [not found] ` <4465zo20n1.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-07-09 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eddie Bush <ekbush@swbell.net> writes:

> How can I do away with this?  I don't like the "splash-screen".  If
> you're not willing to tell me how to get rid of it, could you at least
> tell me what I am looking for?  This one has me completely thrown off

hint: emacs calls the "splash-screen" "startup-message".

(setq inhibit-startup-message t) in your .emacs.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.

* Re: Initial Frame
       [not found] ` <4465zo20n1.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>
@ 2002-07-09 19:17   ` Eddie Bush
From: Eddie Bush @ 2002-07-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> ekbush@swbell.net (Eddie Bush) writes:
>

>>How can I do away with this?  I don't like the "splash-screen".  If
>>you're not willing to tell me how to get rid of it, could you at least
>>tell me what I am looking for?  This one has me completely thrown off
>

> A little petulant, eh?
>
> inhibit-startup-message is what you probably want.

Perhaps - but I know how you guys are.  I'm not saying I blame you.  I
think it's good that you try to force people to learn.  I _did_ try to
find the answer myself - I just failed ... miserably. =/

Thanks to all that helped!

By the way - it seems the startup-message was the cause for the first
buffer I went to after the message displayed to put point at the wrong
spot.  I just _knew_ (in my gut) that thing was evil for more than one
reason!

Thanks so much =)  I now feel I have (my) emacs "back"!

Sincerely,

Eddie

* initial frame
@ 2002-08-31  3:51 tcp
       [not found] ` <wX3c9.45544$6m61.33680@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>
From: tcp @ 2002-08-31  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I always open file in a separate frame. The first file I opened always
popup two frames.
  One with my file in it and the other is just the *scratch*  buffer frame.

  Is there a way to avoid the *scratch buffer frame from popping up?
Thanks!

  My next question is what is the option at the "gnuclient" to open a file
and move
  the cursor to the end of the buffer?

  Many thanks in advance.

---
tcp

* Re: initial frame
       [not found] ` <wX3c9.45544$6m61.33680@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>
@ 2002-08-31 16:38   ` tcp
       [not found]     ` <k%9c9.46435$6m61.40957@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>
From: tcp @ 2002-08-31 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

He Le,

 This did not work. The frame with the "*scratch*" buffer still up.
 And it did not more it to the end-of-the-buffer.

 I actually want a command line option type to move the cursor
 to the end of the buffer. Not for every opened file.

 Thanks!

---
tcp

"Le Wang" <lewang(at@)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> tcp wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I always open file in a separate frame. The first file I opened always
> > popup two frames.
> >   One with my file in it and the other is just the *scratch*  buffer
frame.

> >   Is there a way to avoid the *scratch buffer frame from popping up?
> >   My next question is what is the option at the "gnuclient" to open a
file
> > and move
> >   the cursor to the end of the buffer?
>
> This is pretty useless behaviour, don't you think?  There are packages out
> there (session comes to mind) that will save your positions in files you
> visit and restore the point on the next open.
>
> In any case, add this to your .emacs to solve both your problems:
>
> (setq gnuserv-frame t)
> (add-hook 'gnuserv-visit-hook '(lambda ()
>                                  (setq gnuserv-frame nil)
>                                  (end-of-buffer)))
>

> HTH.
>
> --
> Le

* Re: initial frame
       [not found]     ` <k%9c9.46435$6m61.40957@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>
@ 2002-09-03 17:32       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-09-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang wrote:

> tcp wrote:
>> I actually want a command line option type to move the cursor
>> to the end of the buffer. Not for every opened file.
>>

> '+n file' will move to line n after loading file.  If you specify a large
> enough n, you'll move to the end of the buffer.

emacs +$(grep -c '$' < FILE) FILE

will put point at the beginning of the last line.

> You can use the -eval option to evaluate any piece of lisp code as well.

Or add your own entry to command-switch-alist.

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>

* Re: initial frame
@ 2002-09-08  2:18         ` tcp
From: tcp @ 2002-09-08  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

  How do you -eval with gnuclient? It does not seem to support the option.
  Thanks!